Juicy Instant Pot Chicken Breast from fresh or frozen. 25 minutes from start to finish, simple ingredients and no saute.
Table of contents
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Breast
- What You Will Need
- How to Cook Fresh Chicken Breast in Instant Pot
- How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breast in Instant Pot
- What Size of Instant Pot Can I Use?
- Do I Have to Saute Breasts Before Cooking?
- Can I Cook Breasts with Bones?
- Does Size of Breast Matter?
- Can I Cook Just One Breast?
- What to Do with Cooked Chicken Breast
- More Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes
Pressure Cooker Chicken Breast
This Instant Pot chicken breast recipe is easy, simple and forgiving. Don’t you always have a pack of chicken breasts in your freezer?! Now you can make chicken breast in Instant Pot from fresh or frozen in 30 minutes.
I just love Instant Pot! It makes the best Instant Pot rice and beans with no soaking, lasagna with no need for a springform pan, the most tender Instant Pot beef stew with no need to saute and these easy Instant Pot steamed vegetables.
If you are new to pressure cooking, check out my Instant Pot guide. It explains what happens, why and how to avoid failures. If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet but are thinking about buying one, I explain which Instant Pot to buy in my humble opinion.
Also if you are not a blessed electric pressure cooker owner just yet, check out my baked chicken breast recipe. Same easy and simple. Also this honey garlic chicken would be good pan fried – in case you don’t have an oven.
What You Will Need
You really need only chicken breasts and water. Everything else is up to your taste and what you are planning to use cooked chicken breasts for.
If you are planning to eat cooked chicken breast alongside quinoa or brown rice and salad (meal prep style), I would pay attention to spices.
- Chicken breasts – fresh or frozen.
- Salt and pepper.
- Garlic powder – if you wish.
- Dried herbs – if you like.
How to Cook Fresh Chicken Breast in Instant Pot
- Add 1 cup water.
- Place trivet on top.
- Lay chicken breasts in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with spices.
- Rub onto each other.
- Press Pressure Cook on High for 10 minutes – under 2″ thickness and 15 minutes – over 2″ thick breasts.
- Do Natural Release for 5 minutes and then turn pressure valve to Venting.
How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breast in Instant Pot
Cook frozen chicken breasts just like fresh but:
- For 15 minutes.
- Make sure each breast is separated.
If you add a blob of frozen chicken breasts, you will end up with raw meat inside and overcooked chicken outside.
When you bring fresh chicken from the store, line each breast with small piece of parchment paper before adding to a bag and freezing. Thaw for 5 minutes or run under cold water for easy parchment paper removal.
Check out my Instant Pot frozen chicken breast recipe for detailed info.
What Size of Instant Pot Can I Use?
Same recipe. Same cooking time. Same water amount.
Just make sure chicken breasts fit in a single layer. If your Instant Pot is small and you want to cook large amount of breasts, do so in a few batches. Piling up chicken in a few layers will result in undercooked chicken.
Also note that larger pressure cooker (like mine – 8 quart) take longer to come to pressure – about 8-10 minutes.
Do I Have to Saute Breasts Before Cooking?
I just had to comment. Many recipes online ask you to saute chicken breast before pressure cooking in an effort “to lock in most of juices”. I can assure you I have cooked chicken breast in Instant Pot over 20 times and it comes out juicy if you follow my recipe.
Can I Cook Breasts with Bones?
Yes. Even with skin on, if you wish. Same amount of time.
Does Size of Breast Matter?
6 oz or 10 oz – doesn’t matter. 10 minutes or 15 minutes of pressure cooking is enough time to cook standard American supermarket chicken breasts.
Can I Cook Just One Breast?
Yes, you can. You can cook as many or as little fit into a single layer. Same cooking time.
What to Do with Cooked Chicken Breast
- Shredded: Shred meat with 2 forks, refrigerate and use to make chicken salad or white chicken chili. Or skip sauteing and use instead of ground turkey to make pasta bake.
- Diced: Cube to add protein to vegetarian pasta dish, easy spaghetti recipe or even vegetable soup or borscht. Why not?!
- Low carb meal: Make one of healthy zucchini recipes and enjoy quick dinner entire family will love.
- Meal prep: Refrigerate whole or cubed and use throughout the week for lunches instead of deli meat.
- Freeze for later. When ready to eat, thaw on the counter for a few hours or in the fridge overnight.
More Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes
Did you know we have entire Youtube channel dedicated to healthy Instant Pot recipes and tips? My goal is to help you become confident with your Instant Pot by demonstrating each delicious foolproof recipe in step-by-step videos.
Make sure to subscribe and hit the Bell icon not to miss new videos.
- Instant Pot chicken and rice that we make every month!
- Instant Pot chicken and potatoes everyone will love, trust me!
- Instant Pot chicken tacos come together in one pot.
- Instant Pot white chicken chili is creamy and made healthier.
- Instant Pot frozen chicken – rotisserie style whole chicken.
- 10 healthy freezer meals you can cook from frozen in your pressure cooker.
- And check out over 45 other Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breasts fresh or frozen*
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- To the Instant Pot, add water and place trivet inside. Lay chicken breasts in a single layer (if using frozen make sure they are separated) and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly with tongs or hands.
- Close the lid, set pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High for 10 minutes (under 2″ thickness) for fresh or 15 minutes for fresh (over 2″ thick) and frozen chicken breasts.
- Display will say ON, Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure, you will see a bit of steam coming out from a valve, then float valve will rise and countdown will begin.
- After 10-15 minutes your chicken is ready, Instant Pot will beep and display will say OFF. Wait 5 minutes and do Quick Release by turning sealing valve to Venting position.
- Open the lid and your chicken breasts are ready for meal prep, casseroles, salads etc. Shred or cube, and save the stock at the bottom for soup.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container or resealable freezer bags for up to 3 months. Thaw in a fridge or on a counter.
- *If using frozen chicken breasts make sure they are separated. Think about it before freezing a whole tray, separate them with parchment paper.
- Feel free to use chicken broth instead of water.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.