We love Parmesan zucchini sticks and I have baked tomatoes topped with Parmesan cheese a number of times. So, I thought why not to combine both with some garlic and make a zucchini bake?! Cheese with garlic is always a winning combo. In Ukraine, garlic and dill go together like lime and cilantro in Mexico.
Great success! This zucchini tomato casserole literally took me 5 minutes of chopping and other 25 minutes I was working on grilled lemon rosemary chicken, while zucchini bake was in the oven.
I was finally able to get a hold of local zucchini at a decent price, so I stocked up. Zucchini from Mexico in August for $1.29/lb?! Do you shop at those crazy grocery stores?!
I like to make simple zucchini dishes. Kind of chop, throw together and preferably with leftovers for tomorrow. Like Tex Mex rice and beans with zucchini, pasta with zucchini and tomatoes, and chicken zucchini with garlic and corn. Just because I can’t imagine myself coming home from work and whipping a batch of Parmesan zucchini crisps from Pinterest.
It’s much easier to chop zucchini into cubes, slice up some tomatoes, mix with a bit of Parmesan and spices, then dump everything in a baking dish and bake. Couldn’t be easier, healthier and delicious!
You can use green/yellow zucchini or a squash type in this zucchini bake. Heirloom tomatoes would be delicious instead of grape tomatoes. Throw in some cooked diced chicken or any other cooked protein, like ground turkey or tofu, for a complete meal.
I like zucchini cooked but still crunchy, and that’s what this healthy zucchini bake is. For well cooked vegetables, cook 10 minutes longer. This dish was amazing, even cold. I hope I don’t have to sell you on baked and somewhat crispy Parmesan cheese with garlic, right?! Enjoy my Ukrainian with an Italian flare version of zucchini!
- 2 large or 2.5 lbs zucchini, cut into quarters
- 10 oz grape tomatoes, cut in halves or 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 7 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp dried basil, oregano or organic Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup parsley or basil, finely chopped
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 8 x 8 or 9 x 11 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients, except parsley/basil, and stir to combine. Transfer to a prepared baking dish and bake uncovered for 25 minutes for crunchy zucchini or 35 minutes if you like well cooked vegetables. I recommend checking for doneness with a fork or knife after 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with basil or parsley and serve hot/warm.
Add some grilled, roasted, cooked, even quickly pan fried with some seasonings chicken (cubed or shredded).
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 2.5 g
Cholesterol: 6.6 mg
Sodium: 451.8 mg
Total Carbs: 8.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.3 g
Protein: 5.9 g
WW Points+: 2