Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls
Here is my point, friends. There is no point to roll cabbage rolls. You are going to butcher them the minute they land on your plate. This Instant Pot cabbage rolls recipe is for all of us then. Unstuffed, deconstructed or in a form of casserole – whatever the name is.
I’m pretty sure I’m not the only human who wants to taste the cabbage rolls without rolling them. Quite a few years ago I swore off never to make cabbage rolls again. I switched to lazy cabbage rolls on a stovetop and never looked back. And I’m Ukrainian who grew up helping grandma to roll cabbage rolls for over a decade. And if I’m “lazy”, can’t even imagine how “lazy” you are haha.
Pressure Cooker Cabbage Rolls Tips
- You add uncooked brown rice to Instant Pot.
- I have not tried white rice but you can experiment.
- Total recipe time with pressure build up is 40 minutes. These healthy pressure cooker cabbage rolls can be on your dinner table in 40 minutes. And 20 minutes is an idle time to fold the laundry.
- You will not get Burn message. It is well tested recipe.
- Just don’t stir after you add tomatoes.
In the past 2 months, I have made lazy cabbage rolls in pressure cooker 3 times. That’s how much we love them! Hope you do too!
How to Make Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls
- Sauté onion, garlic, ground turkey and spices for 6 minutes or until turkey is in small pieces
- Add uncooked sliced cabbage and stir. It helps to prevent burning. Then add water, uncooked brown rice, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Do not stir.
- Cancel Sauté and cook on high pressure for 18 minutes.
- Let pressure out right away. No need to wait because who can?! Add dill and stir.
How to Serve Cabbage Rolls
I will give you the best advice ever like if we were eating together. We enjoy lazy man cabbage rolls with generous amount of sour cream or plain yogurt on top. And dark rye bread if you can find it. Or more North American version of toasted whole grain bread.
Don’t forget to dip it into all that sauce at the bottom of the plate. That sauce is the best! Seriously, YUM!
More Healthy Cabbage Recipes
- Lazy cabbage rolls – stovetop version from my grandma.
- Cabbage and carrots stir fry with rice noodles for a tasty vegan 20 minute dinner.
- Cabbage rolls casserole baked in the oven,
- Feel free to check out my collection of other 30 healthy Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls
My Ukrainian grandma’s lazy cabbage rolls adapted to a pressure cooker. Rave 5 star reviews for this 30 minute dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Ukrainian
- 2 lbs cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced & divided
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tsp thyme, dried
- 2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cups water + 1 bouillon cube OR any stock, low sodium
- 2 cups long grain brown rice, rinsed & drained
- 6 oz can tomato paste, low sodium
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1 small bunch dill, finely chopped
- Greek yogurt, for serving
- On Instant Pot, press Sauté and let appliance preheat on high until display says Hot. Swirl oil to coat, add onion and 2 cloves of garlic; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add turkey, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper; cook for 4 minutes, constantly breaking meat into small pieces with spatula. Meat won’t get browned and some pink pieces are OK.
- Add cabbage and stir.
- Add water + bouillon cube (stock), rice, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Do not stir.
- Close the lid, set pressure vent to Sealing and press Cancel to turn Sauté off. Then press Pressure Cooking on High for 18 minutes. Display will say ON, Instant Pot will take about 15 minutes to come to pressure, you will see a bit of steam coming out from a valve, then float valve will rise and countdown will begin.
- After 18 minutes, display will say OFF. Turn pressure vent to Venting position and let steam out, which takes 2-3 minutes. I recommend doing so outside to avoid the smell and mess in the house.
- When float valve (pin) is down open the lid, add 1 garlic clove and dill, then stir gently but well. Serve hot with Greek yogurt and whole grain toast.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.