Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
The best almond flour chocolate chip cookies on the web, I promise! Read reviews below for yourself.:)
I have been making them for a year now with multiple mix-ins. These gluten free chocolate chip cookies with almond flour are my go to when kids demand “Cookies!”.
Thick, a bit chewy outside and soft baked inside. And these are such simple cookies!
Ingredients for Healthy Almond Flour Cookies:
- Almond flour or almond meal
- Cane sugar
- Coconut oil
- Dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
Can I Use Almond Meal?
A few readers have reported successfully making these low carb cookies (lower in carbs than traditional for sure) with all of almond meal or most (75%) almond meal. So, I am pretty sure you can. Maybe, just maybe, the look will eb a bit different.
Can I Use All Purpose Flour?
Short answer is “no”. Almond flour is essentially finely ground blanched almonds. Any wheat flour contains gluten which makes it rise and absorb liquid differently than any other flour. These 2 flours are not interchangeable.
What Other Oil Besides Coconut Oil Works?
Bottom line is you can use any oil in liquid state. What oil you use will affect only the taste and health benefits of the the final product. I would recommend to use avocado oil or light olive oil as both are mild in taste. Even organic or grass fed butter, or ghee works. As long as they are melted.
Someone asked about canola oil. And while there is organic canola oil out there, I just know that canola plant is a GMO product created in a lab. But I mean up to you. We are all grown ups here.:)
I have used many other ingredients besides chocolate chips to mix in into these coconut oil cookies.
- Dried cranberries
- Cacao nibs
Can I Replace Sugar with Maple Syrup?
I have tried to make many-many cookies with maple syrup or honey and they just don’t come out the same. Sugar is dry and when baked it produces chewy almond flour chocolate chip cookies outside and soft baked inside.
And in case you are wondering, you cannot remove sugar altogether. Dry sweetener and liquid fat are what makes cookies “cookies”.
What Healthy Sugars Do You Recommend?
- Cane sugar
- Coconut sugar
- Date sugar
Pretty much any organic or sustainably sourced dry sugar.
Do Cookies Spread?
Not much. I would say 20%. Leave about 2″ between each cookie. But flatten the balls of dough on a baking sheet a bit.
What Temperature and How Long to Bake?
- For more soft baked with a bit of chew outside cookies, bake at 350 degrees F for 20-23 minutes.
- For more crunchy on the outside but still chewy inside cookies, bake at 375 degrees F for 15 ish minutes.
And please keep in mind, ovens vary. Keep your pretty eye on these beauties.
Can I Freeze These Grain Free Cookies?
Yes. Your kids will love them! I usually triple the recipe. We eat half over a course of few days, and I freeze the rest for next time “Cookies!”. I buy a bag of almond flour at Costco and just go crazy haha. It can be pricey but Costco “fixes everything”.
More Healthy Almond Flour Recipes:
- Almond flour banana muffins are in our regular rotation.
- Almond flour waffles that exceed your expectations!
- Almond muffins with lots of frozen berries and whole grains.
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Next time kids ask for cookies, make them these Gluten Free Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies. Chewy, simple and may I say the best?!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 26 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: North American
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/3 cup cane or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, baking soda and salt. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Add coconut oil and beat a bit more to incorporate. Add almond flour and using a spatula (mixer in the beginning and then spatula at the end), mix until the dough forms. Add chocolate chips and give a few more stirs to incorporate.
- Using small cookie dough scoop, place small balls of dough on a baking sheet pressing with your hands to flatten them a bit. Leave about 2″ between the cookies – cookies spread a bit but not much.
- For more soft baked with a bit of chew outside almond flour chocolate chip cookies, bake at 350 degrees F for 20-23 minutes. For more crunchy on the outside but still chewy inside almond flour chocolate chip cookies, bake at 375 degrees F for 15 ish minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing onto cooling rack to cool a bit more.
Store: Keep in a cool dry place uncovered or in a container with some ventilation. If you put them into covered container they soften.
Freeze: In an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.