Grilled Chicken Salad with baby greens, tomatoes, berries, toasted nuts, feta cheese and creamy poppyseed dressing. It is the best, healthy and easy meal in a salad bowl!
Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
Everyone who knows me in real life says I make the best salads (shameless self-promotion). And I would agree because I love a good salad!
Salads help to fight a never ending battle of “losing the last 5 lbs”. I’m yet to win but I’m sure all the green smoothies my husband, Alex, makes help with “I can’t gain another 5 lbs” issue.
Ingredients You Will Need
Use what you have on hand. Think of the tastiest salad you ever had in a restaurant. What was in it?!
Here is a prefect formula for a grilled chicken salad:
- Leafy greens: I used mixed baby greens. It is a staple in our fridge because they are pre-washed, organic, cheap and every store carries them. Chopped Romaine, kale or arugula would be delicious!
- Juicy fruit: When I say “fruit” I am talking about tomatoes, avocado and raspberries. Fruit in savory salad is my favorite punch of flavor besides the dressing. Strawberries, blackberries and blueberries can be used.
- Toasted nuts: I added unsalted roasted mixed nuts from Costco. You can use any raw nuts like cashews, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts and toast on a skillet on medium heat until fragrant, stirring often not to burn.
- Cheese. Soft cheese that crumbles like feta and goat cheese.
- Grilled chicken and healthy salad dressing – in details below. Keep reading. 🙂
This combination just never fails. 🙂
- Seasoning is a mix of lemon juice and zest, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Adding lots of fresh garlic makes chicken flavorful without marinating longer than 30 minutes.
- Then grill on medium high heat (450 degrees F) for 10 minutes. Don’t forget it to rest under foil for 5 minutes and you will end up with juicy chicken.
- If you are looking for more flavor, try my cilantro lime chicken. It can be grilled, baked or fried.
- No grill? Bake chicken breast.
- No oven or time or forgot to thaw meat? Try my Instant Pot chicken breast even from frozen.
We can always figure out healthy dinner together. Dream team. 🙂
Dressing is what makes or breaks the salad.
- This time I used my healthy poppy seed dressing. It is quick and low calorie which makes it perfect for a giant salad like grilled chicken salad.
- Ingredients are yogurt, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, poppy seeds, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- If you are not a fan of poppy seeds, try my healthy ranch dressing, asian salad dressing or a never failing combo – olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
How to Make Ahead and Store Salad
Make Ahead: Refrigerate salad and dressing covered separately for up to 2 days. I recommend to add nuts just before serving otherwise they will get soggy in the fridge. Or make Mason jar salads by adding dressing first, meat second and vegetables last. Perfect for a work week.
Store Leftovers: Once dressed, salad is best consumed within 12 hours as greens will wilt. Or don’t add greens right away but rather before serving.
And of course you can always make a batch or two of grilled chicken, refrigerate for up to a week and use as you need.
I promise you this healthy grilled chicken breast salad will beat any fancy restaurant salad you have ever tried! Enjoy!
More Healthy Salad Recipes
- Healthy taco salad with only good stuff.
- Healthy chicken salad – a classic with yogurt and still lots of flavor.
- Thai chicken salad with peanuts and red cabbage for a crunch supreme.
- Healthy cobb salad – bacon, blue cheese, tons of greens and healthy dressing.
- Shrimp avocado salad – perfect for hot summer days.
Grilled Chicken Salad
Healthy Poppyseed Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt I used 2%
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp white apple cider or rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
Grilled Chicken Breast
- 1 large boneless & skinless chicken breast cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice of
- 1 small garlic clove grated
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- Scant of 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Grilled Chicken Salad
- Mixed baby greens
- 1 cup raspberries strawberries or blueberries
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in halves
- 1/4 cup feta or goat cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup toasted mixed nuts unsalted
- 1/3 cup red onion thinly sliced
- To make poppy seed dressing: In a small bowl add yogurt, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, poppy seeds, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir well with a fork to combine. Set aside.
- To make grilled chicken: In a large bowl add chicken, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. ; Stir with tongs and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Grill on medium high heat (450 degrees F) for 10 minutes, flipping once. Rest under foil for 5 minutes.
- To make grilled chicken salad: In a large salad bowl, add greens, sliced grilled chicken breast, raspberries, tomatoes, feta, nuts and red onion.
- Drizzle with healthy poppyseed dressing and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.
Store: Consume dressed salad within same day.
Make Ahead: Refrigerate salad and dressing covered separately for up to 2 days. Store nuts separately too otherwise they will get soggy.
- Leafy greens: Chopped Romaine, kale or arugula would be delicious!
- Toasted nuts: You can use any raw nuts like cashews, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts and toast on a skillet on medium heat until fragrant, stirring often not to burn.
- Chicken: Chicken thighs would work as well.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.