I already have strawberry mango salsa on the blog but since I have been making this mango salsa without strawberries and avocado, I got to share it!
It is extremely hard for me to walk by the case of Ataulfo mangoes at any grocery store this time of the year. Every shopping trip I promise myself not to buy one because “what am I going to do with it?!”. And “we already ate enough of mangoes”. And “I don’t like peeling them”. But every time I drive away with a case in my trunk.
Mind over matter – “nailed it!”.
How to Make Mango Salsa
This easy mango salsa recipe consist of 5 simple ingredients. Chop, stir and serve.
5 Simple Ingredients
- Red onion
- Lime juice
Tip: I often buy a few jalapenos at a time and freeze them for later.
What Are the Best Mangoes?
- My favourite are Ataulfo (champagne) mango. It is smaller and sweeter than “regular” Tommy Atkins mango. Tommy’s works as well.
- Choose medium softness mango to use within 1-2 days and hard ones for later.
- Avoid very soft mango as it will become a mush.
- When it comes to chopping mango, especially Ataulfo that have thin skin, I’m “weird”. I like to peel the fruit, cut around the pit and then dice.
Serving Mango Salsa
This is the best part about fresh mango salsa – so versatile to serve!
And lastly, if you feel like adding black beans, just make my black bean mango salad. Really anything works!
Make Ahead and Store
Definitely. Who doesn’t want to chill with a glass of white wine with friends instead of slaving in the kitchen?!
To Make Ahead: Add all ingredients to a bowl except salt. Cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Add salt and stir mango salsa right before serving. As soon as you stir salt with other ingredients, they start “leaking”.
Leftovers: Refrigerate mango salsa leftovers for up to 24 hours.
More Fresh Salsa Recipes to TryPrint
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings (as a side) 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: No Cook + Chop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 4 large mangoes, peeled & diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime or lemon, juice of
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp jalapeños, minced
- In a medium bowl, add mango, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt and jalapenos.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve with chips, fish like cedar plank salmon, grilled chicken breast and pork. Really anything!
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.
Pick ripe mangoes that are a bit soft to the touch, not too hard and not too soft. I used ataulfo mangoes.
I freeze chopped jalapeños to avoid food waste and always have some on hand.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.