This mango black bean salad is circa 2012 a.k.a 3rd recipe ever posted on ifoodreal.com. I’m bringing life back into old salad recipes (majority of people are into spring cleaning where as I’m more of a summer girl) as hot summer days are perfect for making this plant-based salad. Rich in protein, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats and fiber this black bean salad with mango, cilantro and lime will keep you satisfied for hours.
Add cooked quinoa and/or avocado. Serve it with chicken, white fish or just on its own. Or who am I kidding?! Pull out a bag of healthier tortilla chips and use it as salsa. Pair it with a glass of healthy margarita (ice, tequila, club soda, lime and salt) and you’ve got your own little Mexico.
How to Make Black Bean Mango Salad
- Let’s talk “Mango”. Choose mango medium softness to use within 1-2 days and hard ones for later. Avoid buying very soft mango for salad as it will become a mush. My favourite are Ataulfo (champagne) mangoes and typically are sold in bulk boxes Apr-June for $7-10. They are smaller and sweeter than “regular” Tommy Atkins mango known to most North Americans.
- When it comes to chopping mango, especially Ataulfo that have thin skin, I’m “weird”. I like to peel the fruit, cut around the pit and then dice.
- In a large bowl, add mango, tomato, bell pepper, corn, black beans, cilantro, onion, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, salt, hot pepper flakes, and gently stir to combine.
- Serve cold.
Mango Black Bean Salad
This Mango Black Bean Salad Recipe with corn, cilantro and lime is rich in protein and fiber. Easy dinner for a hot summer night dinner and a delight to entertain with! SO GOOD!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 medium or 3 Ataulfo mango, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn, cooked or frozen (thawed)
- 19 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Hot chili pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large bowl, add mango, tomato, bell pepper, corn, black beans, cilantro, onion, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, salt, hot pepper flakes, and gently stir to combine. Serve cold.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 24 hours.
Make Ahead: Refrigerate without olive oil, lime juice and salt for up to 24 hours, and then add before serving.
I used low sodium black beans, so adjust salt to taste if using regular.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.