Black Bean Salad
This black bean mango salad is circa 2012 a.k.a 3rd recipe ever posted on ifoodreal.com. I’m bringing life back into old salad recipes as hot summer days are perfect for making healthy salad for dinner.
Rich in protein, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats and fiber this black bean salad with mango, cilantro and lime will keep you satisfied for hours. And it’s juicy!!!
Don’t you wanna just dive in head first with an open mouth into this rainbow?!
How to Cook Black Beans for Salad
To prepare black beans for salad, you have 3 options.
- Use canned black beans. The best beans are low sodium, organic and in BPA free cans.
- Cook black beans on a stove top good old fashioned way. You have to soak dried black beans overnight and cook the next day. Then I usually freeze a regular can portion of 1.5 cups in plastic bags. I replaced canned beans with this method. That was before Instant Pot joined our family.:)
- Lately I make black beans in Instant Pot. I am still perfecting the recipe and will share once it’s ready. But all I do for now is cover dried and unsoaked black beans with twice cold water and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. The key is to do Natural Release to prevent beans from falling apart. Next time I would liek to try 10 minutes and see what happens.
Using Best Mangoes
- Choose medium softness mango to use within 1-2 days and hard ones for later.
- Avoid buying very soft mango for salad as it will become a mush.
- My favourite are Ataulfo (champagne) mangoes and typically are sold in bulk boxes Apr-June for $7-10. They are smaller and sweeter than “regular” Tommy Atkins mango known to most North Americans. Tommy’s work too.
- When it comes to chopping mango, especially Ataulfo that have thin skin, I’m “weird”. I like to peel the fruit, cut around the pit and then dice.
What to Serve Healthy Black Bean Salad with?
Serve cold. Allow flavors to marry each other in the fridge for a few hours. If you can. But I understand if not…Who can resist not to dive in head first into this bowl of deliciousness?!
- Add cooked quinoa and/or avocado.
- Serve easy black bean salad with chicken, white fish or just on its own.
- Or who am I kidding?! Pull out a bag of healthier tortilla chips and use it as salsa. Pair it with a glass of healthy margarita (ice, tequila, club soda, lime and salt) and you’ve got your own little Mexico.
More Black Bean Recipes to Try:
- Black bean brownies are so fudgy with top notch reviews!
- Black bean quinoa casserole chock full of veggies and Thai flavors.
- Instant Pot black bean soup with dried black beans, no soaking!
- Black bean nachos where you top tortilla chips with jalapeno refried beans.
Black Bean Mango Salad
This Mango Black Bean Salad Recipe with corn, cilantro and lime is rich in protein and fiber. Easy dinner for a hot summer night dinner and a delight to entertain with! SO GOOD!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: No cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 medium or 3 Ataulfo mango, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn, cooked or frozen (thawed)
- 19 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Hot chili pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large bowl, add mango, tomato, bell pepper, corn, black beans, cilantro, onion, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, salt, hot pepper flakes, and gently stir to combine. Serve cold.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 24 hours.
Make Ahead: Refrigerate without olive oil, lime juice and salt for up to 24 hours, and then add before serving.
I used low sodium black beans, so adjust salt to taste if using regular.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.