This Slow Cooker Lentil Soup recipe is the best “set and forget” healthy vegetarian soup with a hearty texture and umami flavour. Just turn on your crockpot and walk away.
CrockPot Lentil Soup
Soup season is here!
This slow cooker lentil soup is made up of 100% vegetables. You would never guess this soup is vegan, and is so flavorful and filling. My kids call it “the best soup ever” and that is before I top their bowls with tortilla chips!
Crockpot lentil soup recipe is like the best veggie soup that cleans out your produce fridge drawers. Or if you leave the house early, you can prepare it in the evening and just plug in the slow cooker in the morning. With this kind of soup, it is like borscht – the longer it cooks, the better it gets.
Slow cooker soups are the best!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
Ingredients are simple and are similar to how I make Instant Pot lentil soup.
- Green or brown lentils: Lentils are just so easy to cook, are full of fiber and protein, and come out delicious with simple seasonings. You can use red lentils, just keep in mind they will fall apart a lot.
- Vegetables: Carrots, potatoes, celery and corn (it adds a touch of sweetness).
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, oregano, thyme, peppercorns, bay leaves. My secret ingredient is soy sauce (I use Bragg liquid aminos) which gives an umami flavor to the soup.
- Broth: Vegetable broth or organic vegetable bouillon cubes.
- Garnishes: Green onion, cilantro, parsley, Greek yogurt, cheese, tortilla chips…really whatever you like or have on hand.
Tip: If you would like lentil soup with more protein, make my chicken lentil soup recipe.
How to Make Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
There is a full recipe card below.
- Prep: The only prep work is to dice the vegetables. Transfer them to a crock pot as you chop. You don’t even have to sauté the onions.
- Combine: Dump veggies, lentils, seasonings and water/broth into a large slow cooker. No need to stir but if you do, it’s fine.
- Cook: Cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-5 hours. The longer, the better as flavor develops with time and green lentils hold their shape quite well.
- Blend: Make this soup creamy using an immersion blender. First, remove the bay leaves and peppercorns. Then pulse a few times until you get the desired texture.
How to Store, Freeze and Make Ahead
Store: Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Lentil soup freezes well for up to 3 months.
Freezer Meal: Yes, you can make this into a freezer meal!
- Combine: In a large Ziploc bag, add all the ingredients (except for the broth/water and the garnishes).
- Freeze: Make sure to release as much air out as possible, seal the bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw: When you are ready to enjoy this soup, just thaw the freezer bag in a bowl/sink of hot water for 10 minutes
- Cook: Transfer to a slow cooker, add broth/water and cook as per recipes instructions plus 1 hour.
Check out my full list of healthy freezer meals. I’m obsessed!
Make Ahead: I love that you can prep this soup ahead of time. Just add all the ingredients (except for the garnishes) into a container (or ziploc bag, slow cooker insert etc). Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Cook as per recipe instructions.
More Soup and Stew Recipes
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- 2 medium onions diced
- 3 large celery stalks diced
- 3 large carrots diced
- 4 cups potatoes diced
- 2 cups corn frozen
- 1 1/2 cups green or brown lentils rinsed & drained
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 tbsp soy sauce I use Bragg liquid aminos
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 9 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- Garnishes: green onion cilantro, parsley, Greek yogurt, cheese, tortilla chips
- In a large slow cooker, add onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, corn, lentils, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, soy sauce, bay leaves, peppercorns and vegetable broth. No need to stir.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-5 hours (with this soup longer is better).
- Discard bay leaves and peppercorns. Using an immersion blender, pulse a few times until desired texture - I like creamy with chunks.
- Garnish with herbs and Parmesan cheese/plain yogurt/tortillas chips and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
Freezer Meal: In a large Ziploc bag, add all ingredients (except broth (water) and garnishes), release out air as much as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in a bowl/sink with hot water for 10 minutes, transfer to slow cooker, add water and cook as per instructions + 1 hour.
Make Ahead: In a large air tight container, Ziploc bag, bowl with a lid or slow cooker's insert, add all ingredients (except garnishes) and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Cook as per instructions.
- Broth: Alternatively you can use 2 organic low sodium vegetable bouillon cubes (like GoBio brand sold in many grocery stores) and 9 cups of water.
- Lentils: You can use red lentils, just keep in mind they will fall apart a lot.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.