Superfood Southwest Quinoa Salad that is perfect for dinner, meal prep, lunch, cookout side. It is healthy, bright and tasty. Make ahead as Southwest quinoa salad tastes even better when cold.
Everyone will love this Southwest quinoa salad with a heat kick. It is packed with Mexican flavor and protein.
I absolutely love quinoa salads for so many reasons. One of them is that hearty quinoa soaks up the dressing so well. Which makes quinoa salad taste so-so-so good cold straight from the fridge.Quinoa salad becomes the ultimate lunch food. Don’t you agree?
When combined with beans and corn you have something truly special. I love the addition of both into my salads; I mean just look at this Mexican street corn salad, Mexican bean salad, mango black bean salad, black bean salsa, healthy taco salad– and more!
To make Southwest quinoa salad I used:
- Black beans
- Bell pepper
- Onion, jalapeno, cilantro
- Olive oil and lime juice
To be honest, you can also add diced mango, tomato, avocado (if making ahead add right before serving) and finely shredded kale. Alternatively, share this salad alongside dishes like this avocado salad, avo corn salad, or salsa guacamole!
What Quinoa Is the Best?
There are 3 main kinds of quinoa you can find in North American supermarkets: white, red and tri-colour.
For quinoa salad, I prefer tri-colour quinoa. It has softness of white quinoa and heartiness of red quinoa. But BIG “but” – you can use any.
Best quinoa is well cooked quinoa – fluffy, not mushy, al dente. I do not follow package instructions for cooking quinoa. I use less water. Or cook perfect quinoa in Instant Pot.
How to Make Southwest Quinoa Salad
While quinoa is cooking, chop vegetables and herbs.
We will not be making separate dressing (vinaigrette) because I simply do not see the point. I add lime juice, olive oil and spices straight to the bowl with chopped veggies.
Add fluffed with a fork and a bit cooled down cooked quinoa. Stir well. Good thing quinoa salad is not a delicate matter so you can stir for a while.
What to Serve Southwest Quinoa Salad With?
I absolutely recommend to refrigerate Southwest quinoa salad (any quinoa salad) for at least 30 minutes. It tastes best cold and all the flavors have a chance “to marry” each other.
- Serve as a side with Instant Pot frozen chicken (pictured below).
- On a hot summer day, eat on its own. It is vegan and gluten free.
- Bring to a potluck, pool party or cookout.
- Serve at Thanksgiving table.
- Southwest quinoa salad would go well with grilled salmon or chili lime chicken.
- With simple baked chicken breast if too tired to cook.
How Long Does It Last?
Quinoa salad is like wine – gets better with time. I usually cover the bowl with salad with plastic wrap or beeswax wraps and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
If you get tired of it – do what I did. I sauteed ground beef with onion, a bit of salt and pepper. And then mixed with this Southwest quinoa salad. Shut the front door! Was so-so good!
I would not freeze leftovers because of all the veggies.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
You might also like this list of 45 healthy salads!
Southwest Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup dry 2.5-3 cups cooked quinoa
- 14 oz can low sodium black beans rinsed & drained
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 cup corn cooked or thawed
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 2 large limes juice of
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions or... Stovetop: I personally like to cook quinoa with a ratio of 1 cup dry quinoa to 1.5 cups water. Unlike most packages that state 1:2 ratio. Bring to a boil, cook on low for 12 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes and fluff. This way quinoa comes out less mushy. See detailed tutorial here.Instant Pot: I'm obsessed with . It takes 30 seconds of prep and I walk away. Quinoa comes out fluffy and each grain separate after 9 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop the veggies.
- In a large salad bowl, add black beans, bell peppers, corn, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork and add to the bowl.
- Stir gently to combine and serve cold or warm.
- White, red or tri-colour quinoa works. Red quinoa is more hearty and chewy.
- I cook my own black beans from dried in Instant Pot. They contain no salt. So if you use low sodium or regular canned black beans, add salt to taste.
- You can also add diced mango, tomato, avocado (if making ahead add right before serving), finely shredded kale.
- Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 4 days.
- Make Ahead: Add all ingredients to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Stir right before serving.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.