I make superfood Quinoa Black Bean Salad for lunches all summer. It is full of protein, tasty and easy! Meal prep it on Sunday, make ahead for a party or simply clean out the fridge.
Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
I make quinoa salads regularly to use up leftover quinoa. And not only quinoa. Veggie drawers too. I hate food waste.
Quinoa and black bean salad with lots of cilantro, zesty lime juice, diced fresh jalapeno and lots of extra virgin olive oil. Load up and your body will thank you!
Me and Alex split an entire bowl for lunch and let me tell you that was I ever full. Quinoa is a seed and a source of complete vegan protein. But this easy quinoa salad doesn’t taste “healthy” at all, so bring to a summer party.
Easy Quinoa Salad Ingredients
- Super versatile easy quinoa salad! Having said that, I would not skip fresh jalapeno and garlic.
- Quinoa, black beans, cilantro, jalapeno, tomato, red onion and simple spices.
- White, red or tri-colour quinoa works. Red quinoa is more hearty and chewy.
- Truth is you can add any Southwestern fitting veggies and fruit like diced mango, corn, avocado (if making ahead add right before serving), finely shredded kale, bell pepper and cucumber.
A note: This is not throw everything together salad. It is in terms of veggies. But I really-really tested this quinoa salad in terms of right balance of flavors. It has a zest, kick and a punch.
How to Make Quinoa Salad
- Cook quinoa.
- Chop veggies.
- Stir the salad.
If you have leftover quinoa, this becomes 15 minute quinoa black bean salad. Easy and saves you from McDonald’s for lunch.
My quinoa and black bean salad served double duty of cleaning up my freezer after many Instant Pot quinoa and Instant Pot black beans experiments. I cook my own black beans from dried in Instant Pot. They contain no salt. So if you use low sodium or regular canned black beans, add salt to taste.
Does It Go Bad?
K, quinoa black bean salad almost tastes better the next day.
It is perfect for making ahead and you can double or triple the recipe. Make on Sunday for a week of easy lunches or prepare the night before for a party.
I personally like salad cold but salad taste good warm too. So if it’s sitting at a party table for hours, it will taste good. Also no dairy is a bonus.
Salad will keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Why Quinoa Is So Healthy?
As mentioned above, quinoa is pretty much the only vegan source of complete protein. Extremely important for vegans and vegetarians. There is no B12 in other plant-based protein rich foods.
I am a strong believer in balance and moderation. That is why we try to eat less meat and when you do that, you look for filling meatless dishes. And since black beans and quinoa are high in protein and complex carbs, combined with healthy fats rich olive oil and veggies – you get a complete meal in one bowl.
Other health benefits of quinoa include very high antioxidants levels, gluten free and low glycemic index. Tons of vitamins and nutrients like iron and magnesium. Anything whole food is good for you. Whole food is something you consume the way mother nature created it and has not been altered by humans.
Hope you learnt something new and be healthy!
More Bean and Quinoa Salads
- Mediterranean quinoa salad with your favorite Greek flavors.
- Southwest quinoa salad – eat the rainbow.
- Broccoli quinoa salad with toasted almonds – so easy and good!
- Quinoa tabbouleh salad – a hit at a potluck 100%.
- White bean salad – 15 minute prep.
Enjoy quinoa and black bean salad!
Would love to hear your feedback in comments below.Print
Quinoa Black Bean Salad
Superfood Quinoa Black Bean Salad that is full of protein, tasty and easy. Meal prep it on Sunday, make ahead for a party or simply clean out the fridge.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 large or 6 small sides 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove+Chop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 cup dry (2.5–3 cups cooked) quinoa
- 14 oz can low sodium black beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 large limes, juice of
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2–3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions or… Stovetop: I personally like to cook quinoa with a ratio of 1 cup dry quinoa to 1.5 cups water. Unlike most packages that state 1:2 ratio. Bring to a boil, cook on low for 12 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes and fluff. This way quinoa comes out less mushy. Instant Pot: I’m obsessed with Instant Pot quinoa. It takes 30 seconds of prep and I walk away. Quinoa comes out fluffy and each grain separate after 9 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop the veggies.
- In a large salad bowl, add black beans, tomato, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork and add to the bowl.
- Stir gently to combine and serve cold or warm.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 4 days.
Make Ahead: Add all ingredients to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Stir right before serving.
White, red or tri-colour quinoa works. Red quinoa is more hearty and chewy.
I cook my own black beans from dried in Instant Pot. They contain no salt. So if you use low sodium or regular canned black beans, add salt to taste.
You can also add diced mango, corn, avocado (if making ahead add right before serving), finely shredded kale.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.