Chicken quinoa bowls with quinoa, kale, chili chicken, mango, black beans, cilantro, jalapeños and creamy Cilantro Avocado Dressing. Customizable to each family member’s preference which is perfect for any family, especially with kids (haha, we all can talk about this one for hours).
Last week me and Alex had this conversation while walking, how we like to cook one pot or pan meals where you throw everything together and stir. And how much we love easy shrimp tacos, black bean zucchini burger, black bean and rice burritos and zucchini noodle bowls but do not make them often at home. And I feel like we are missing out.
I just do not like to dirty many bowls, wrap them with plastic, put in the fridge. Another problem is I cook mainly during the day so everything has to be refrigerated and reheated for dinner. Then for leftovers everything is separated again and I have to re-open bowls and remake meal again. So much work, it drives me crazy.
But because all of us love all above mentioned dishes I decided to re-invent the way I serve them.
I grabbed large baking dish I use for making casseroles and added all ingredients to it as I was chopping. Smaller items went into smaller bowls on top. Then I covered everything with one large piece of plastic wrap and refrigerated. For dinner, I placed it in the middle of the kitchen table along with Cilantro Avocado Dressing and pot of quinoa. Voila! All was left to do was to remove the plastic wrap. This method worked really well and you might have been using it forever which makes you very smart.
Kids grabbed what they wanted, nobody was whining they don’t like kale or cilantro, and I didn’t hear “It’s spicy”. Everyone loved dinner. Great! Stay tuned for more of these kind of recipes.
Does anybody else cut mango like me? Is this a non-traditional way? Despite all rules this is my preferred method – peel, slice it off the pit and then dice.
Anyone else’s spice labeling “techniques” are similar to mine? I try hard to keep everything clean and organized but reality is it is a busy life and a big house to keep up with. Especially now in summertime when figs have to harvested, plants watered, beaches to attend. I really love Simply Organic glass spice jars so I keep empty ones and refill them with bulk spices at times. In this case I used “slightly” different refill powder.:) Can you tell I was in a rush?! But at least saves me from another Alex question. And is it a problem to find a black sharpie at your house too?! LOL
Enjoy these chicken quinoa bowls, they are magnificent!
Chicken Quinoa Bowls with Mango and Black Beans
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 0.5" pieces*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, stalks removed & finely chopped
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled & diced
- 14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 large avocados, pitted and sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges**
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced (leave seeds in if you like heat)
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped**
- Cilantro Avocado Dressing
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large non-stick skillet on medium - high heat and swirl oil to coat. Add chicken, chili powder and salt; cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Chop vegetables/fruits and get other ingredients ready. Make Cilantro Avocado Dressing.
- To serve, I like to place everything in a large baking dish for self-serve or divide evenly among 4 bowls and drizzle with dressing. Enjoy warm or cold.
*You can skip chicken or replace with tofu for a vegan version. **1 lime and a bunch of cilantro are enough for bowls themselves as well to make Cilantro Avocado Dressing.