Many years ago, while attending university, I used to work part-time at the post office located inside huge drug mart. I never brought dinner to work because there were freezers full of chicken pot pies for $0.99. Why would I bother to cook if there was so much cheap food at work. I’d rather get enough beauty sleep for my next Russian party. Yes, who needs to cook when you are busy partying (and studying)?!
Then, after I had kids, I transitioned to a Betty Crocker chicken pot pie. One day I made a discovery of the year aka a box of Bisquick and on the back there was a recipe for an easy and cheap chicken pot pie. Who needs to cook when you got 2 little kids?!
Times have changed again, thankfully, and now I make healthy chicken pot pie from scratch. Full of veggies, chicken and of course delicious creamy sauce. But instead of puff pastry dough or a Bisquick mix, even better, I came up with quinoa “pie crust”. Why not?! Quinoa is a whole grain full of complete protein and complex carbs. After playing around with Cauliflower Pizza Crust and Cauliflower Breadsticks, I thought I would try a quinoa crust. It worked like a charm.
This quinoa chicken pot pie is more of a casserole dish. But isn’t any chicken pot pie a casserole?!
This quinoa chicken pot pie casserole is made from scratch and is so healthy. No canned soup or baking mix. And it came out delicious! The veggies stayed crisp and not overcooked. I do not like overcooked peas that turn yellow green. The amount of sauce was spot on – enough to coat the chicken and veggies, adding flavour and moisture to the dish without making it too runny. Yay for the right amount of flour and milk. And the crust didn’t fall apart. I like to eat my chicken pot pie this way – a fair amount of filling with a slice of the crust, always.
It took me 50 minutes, from start to finish, to have lunch ready on the table while Alex took kids to the park. Kids approved the casserole in a heartbeat. I never worry about Alex anymore, he is versatile and likes most of my creations. I hope your kids love it too! And your waistline will thank me.:)
Quinoa Chicken Pot Pie
Quinoa Chicken Pot Pie Recipe – healthy casserole with veggies, tender chicken breast, light creamy sauce and nutty quinoa crust. Healthy chicken pot pie.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 43 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 2/3 cups mozzarella cheese, low fat
- 3 cups quinoa, cooked
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 cup milk, 1%
- 1/4 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 10 white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen peas, carrots & corn mix, thawed
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites for 30 seconds. Add thyme, cheese, quinoa and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, whisk chicken broth, milk, flour, salt, pepper and set aside.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray again. Add garlic and onion, saute until translucent. Slowly pour slurry (broth and milk mixture) into a skillet, whisking and making sure no flour is left at the bottom of the bowl. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat and add mushrooms, vegetables, chicken and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish and flatten with a spatula. Drop spoonfuls of quinoa mixture on top and spread with a spatula to cover the filling evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes, cut into 8 portions and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
Freeze: Assemble, tightly wrap with plastic and then foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as per instructions + 15 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.