I love quinoa casserole because it is quick. If you are trying to eat less meat, this recipe is for you. This clean eating casserole is hearty, filling and full of flavours. I used an entire box of pre-washed baby spinach – my favourite, I truly love the convenience of washed organic greens. Spinach shrinks a lot, so don’t be scared by the amount this recipe calls for.
I have a hard time finding frozen or marinated in water artichoke hearts. They are always packed in oil and I had to find my way around it. I drain, rinse and drain them again. Voila.
And please don’t judge my pot. It is my favourite Lagostina pot whose outside goes bonanza in a dishwasher. And who can give up dishwasher?!
Enjoy this delicious quinoa casserole as much as we did!
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 cups any milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped*
- 11 oz package (4 large handfuls) spinach
- 1/2 cup (1 oz) Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) white cheddar (mozzarella) cheese, shredded & divided
- 1/2 tsp + a pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- In a medium pot, add quinoa, water and a pinch of salt; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cook for 12 minutes and set aside.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl olive oil to coat. Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray. In a small bowl, whisk together milk with cornstarch. Add to a skillet with previously cooked onion and garlic. Also add artichoke hearts, spinach, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, quinoa (fluff with a fork a bit before adding), 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Transfer mixture to a prepared baking dish, level and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Serve hot.
*If using frozen, thaw and drain. If using marinated, rinse and drain.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 1 heaping cup:
Total Fat: 7.5 g
Cholesterol: 14.2 mg
Sodium: 382.7 mg
Total Carbs: 33.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.4 g
Protein: 11.2 g
WW Points+: 6