30 minute, from start to finish, healthy meatless dinner idea. Light and fluffy quinoa in a sweet Parmesan pumpkin sauce with fresh baby spinach. This pumpkin quinoa was so easy and delicious!
I’m on a major pumpkin kick this year because I love how it adds volume to desserts with so many health benefits and flavour: healthy pumpkin pie, healthy pumpkin bread, and flourless pumpkin muffins. I have never made a savoury dish with pumpkin though and I love quinoa.
It doesn’t get easier than cooking quinoa as per package instructions. Leftover quinoa is perfect for this recipe. I also try to freeze cooked quinoa in batches whenever I can.
Then saute onion and garlic – a combo that never fails me. Add pumpkin puree and chicken stock, and simmer. Add Parmesan, then quinoa and spinach. Done – pumpkin quinoa. Delish and easy, right?!
Parmesan Pumpkin and Spinach Quinoa
Parmesan Pumpkin Quinoa with Spinach Recipe is a comforting healthy dish with pumpkin puree, cheese, chicken stock and spinach.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (3 + 1/2 cups cooked quinoa)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (1.5 oz) Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large deep skillet on low – medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add pumpkin puree, chicken stock, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Remove from heat and add quinoa and spinach. Stir gently to combine. Adjust thickness with extra chicken stock if desired. I like my quinoa saucy and hot. Because of Parmesan cheese, liquid separation with time is normal. Just give it a good stir. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 – 4 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.