I will be short and sweet today.:) Literally sweet because I rolled 32 of coconut protein balls today and was totally covered in coconut flakes and sticky dough. But I’m not complaining. It took only 20 minutes from start to finish.
These coconut protein balls make great pre or post workout snack. Just like this Slimming Blueberry Protein Shake or Guilt-Free Chocolate Protein Shake. Or healthy-mommy-on-the-run-to-the-playground snack. Or busy-mommy-no-time-for-breakfast snack. Or no-time-to-eat-for-mommy-ever snack. Kidding.
If you want to lose weight and be healthy, you have to eat every 2.5-3 hours. Did you know that?! So put your baby for a nap and sit down and eat properly! Often my son’s nap times are my only opportunity to sit down and really enjoy my meal.
I recommend using only uflavoured and unsweetened protein powder for this coconut protein balls recipe. I used President’s Choice Whey Protein powder. You can buy it for $30 at the Real Canadian Superstore.
Coconut protein balls are great to store in the fridge for up to a week and freeze beautifully. I found they do not harden much in a freezer. To defrost just thaw them on a counter for 15 minutes and pop them in your gym bag for a healthy pre or post workout snack. Enjoy!
P.S. All fats in this recipe are healthy fats. As well as sugar is a natural sugar.;)
- 3 cups dates, pitted
- 4 scoops (120 g) whey protein powder, unflavoured & unsweetened
- 1/4 cup carob or chocolate chips
- 1 + 1/2 cup almonds
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2/3 - 1 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- Combine dates, almonds and water in a food processor and grind. Small chunks are fine. Add to the mixing bowl along with protein powder, carob ships and cocoa powder. Mix with spatula until well combined. Mixture will seem dry in the beginning. If necessary add more water.
- Spread coconut flakes on a flat surface like a dinner plate and roll 32 balls in it.
Servings Per Recipe: 32 balls
Amount Per 1 Ball:
Total Fat: 5.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.6 mg
Sodium: 53.2 mg
Total Carbs: 16.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.1 g
Sugars: 11.2 g
Protein: 5.5 g
Weight Watchers Points +: 3
Weight Watchers Points: 2