Easy Broiled Asparagus with garlic, oil, salt and pepper is a 10 minute baked asparagus side dish. Plus, a cool trick to dirty no hands and make crunchy grilled in the oven asparagus.
Table of Contents
I have a broiled asparagus recipe that keeps your hands oil free and mess to a minimum. It is so easy, even my kids know how to broil asparagus in the oven!
This broiled asparagus method is so easy, you almost don’t need a recipe for it! Learn the basic cook time and seasonings, memorize the steps, and you will be making fresh asparagus over and over.
Broiled asparagus comes out crunchy and tender. The only way anyone should be eating asparagus. No mushy boiled mess like I used to make at 25.
Ingredients for Broiled Asparagus
All you need is 5 ingredients for this simple oven broiled asparagus recipe!
How to Make Broiled Asparagus
Broiled asparagus goes back to my university years where a friend taught me a cool trick how to season asparagus without getting my hands oily. She placed asparagus in a container, covered it, shook gently, then microwaved it.
I took her method and gave it an upgrade by broiling asparagus in the oven!
1. Trim the ends of the asparagus. Learn two easy ways below.
2. Season. In a medium-large rectangular baking dish place asparagus. Drizzle with oil, top with garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place lid on top or wrap with foil or plastic wrap. Holding by the ends shake and toss dish until seasonings coated asparagus.
3. Broil. Heat broiler and remove lid from the dish. Place it 5-6 inches below the broiler and broil for 7 minutes (I have gas) or start checking after 5 minutes. Asparagus is cooked when al dente, crunchy but softer. The thickest parts should pierce easily with a fork!
What Dish Should I Use?
I have this rectangular Glasslock storage container with a lid and that is what I used to season asparagus and broiled in it as well! However, a few readers have reported that this glass baking dish can shatter. So, from now on I will be using a ceramic baking dish.
How to Trim Asparagus?
There is no doubt that asparagus is a delicious veggie, but it does require removing the tough woody ends before you broil it in the oven. There are two methods I like to use when trimming asparagus.
- Cut: Grab a sharp knife and line up your asparagus all facing the same way on a cutting board. Cut right where the green part of the stalk turns to white. It’s so fast and easy, plus your asparagus is evenly cut.
- Bend and snap: This is a fun way to get your kids involved! Gently bend each asparagus stalk until the woody end snaps off.
Ways to Serve Broiled Asparagus Recipe
Broiled asparagus adds visual appeal to any plate! It’s versatile and is one of our favorite healthy sides for a variety of mains.
- Chicken: Broiled asparagus goes well with baked chicken breast.
- Salmon: Serve with honey garlic salmon and serve this for a Mother’s Day dinner!
- Pasta: For an easy dinner serve with Instant Pot chicken pasta with parmesan!
- Risotto: Keep your dinner light and easy, plus low carb and serve with cauliflower risotto.
- For an Easter dinner menu idea, start with healthy deviled eggs, serve boneless leg of lamb roast for your main, and finish with a slice of almond flour carrot cake or easier yet healthy carrot cake bars!
Yes! It’s low calorie, yet a great source of fiber and plant based protein. It’s also high in Vitamin K which helps promote good bone health!
Sure! Place a few thinly sliced lemons right into the baking dish with the asparagus and broil right along with the vegetable for a lemony bright taste.
Yes! Freshly grated parmesan can be added right after removing from the oven.
More Vegetable Side Dishes
More Delicious Asparagus Recipes
Here are some other top ways to prep and enjoy this tasty spring vegetable!
Easy Broiled Asparagus with Garlic
- In a medium-large rectangular baking dish place asparagus. Drizzle with oil, top with garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place lid on top (if dish has one) or wrap with foil or plastic wrap and holding by the ends shake and toss dish until asparagus is coated evenly with seasonings. Takes a minute or so.
- Turn broiler on High. Remove lid (foil or plastic) from the dish and place it 5-6 inches below the broiler. Broil for 7 minutes (I have gas) or start checking after 5 minutes. Asparagus is cooked when al dente, crunchy but softer. Just taste test one. Serve with fish, chicken, pork etc.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Add lemon slices before broiling for a bright citrus taste!
- Top with parmesan after removing from the oven for a cheesy taste.