Want creamy coleslaw and not eat a cup of mayo? Try my easy Healthy Coleslaw recipe with Greek yogurt and store bought coleslaw for added convenience. It goes amazing with Instant Pot pulled pork!
And if you love coleslaw as much as we do, you have to try this mango slaw, peanut slaw and my mom’s Ukrainian vinegar coleslaw.
Table of contents
Healthy coleslaw recipe made with store bought slaw and easy Greek yogurt dressing. Creamy, just a touch of mayo, simple, quick and delicious salad or side dish!
And if you slow cook a pot of healthy pulled pork or make pressure cooker bbq chicken, then top with this creamy coleslaw and serve on a fresh bun, everyone will love you even more. Trust me!
Coleslaw is so versatile! It goes well with this easy shrimp taco recipe or fish tacos, the mayo free version aka vinegar slaw can be combined with sweet mango to top grilled fish tacos.
For a real summer spread, make Instant Pot corn on the cob in literally one minute, grill turkey burgers, and serve easy healthy slaw on the side, it’s a picnic worthy dinner at home!
Is Coleslaw Healthy?
Yes, but it’s the dressing that gives coleslaw a bad rep. That is why I have chosen to use a mostly Greek yogurt slaw dressing to make this healthier.
On its own, cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable full of cancer fighting properties, vitamins K,C, B, fiber, potassium and folate. It’s a nutritional powerhouse, you just gotta “dress” it but not with a cup of mayo.
Now having said that, I do consider a tablespoon or two of organic mayo here and there healthy and this healthy coleslaw dressing is no exception.
Ingredients and Substitutions
This healthy coleslaw recipe uses fresh ingredients for a crunchy, colorful, and creamy salad with only a touch of mayo and no sugar.
- Bagged slaw or cabbage: For convenience, I use 1 lb bag of store bought slaw. You can also shred about 6 cups of green cabbage or purple cabbage.
- Yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt with fat content of 2% or regular yogurt with 3.5% is best. This is to ensure expected creaminess. I tried using 0% yogurt and dressing was flat and chalky. You can even use homemade Instant Pot yogurt.
- Dill or parsley (optional): Fresh herbs are absolutely optional and I add them only if they are in my veggie drawers. Fresh herbs take any dish to the next level.
- Mayo: Any mayo will work and is a must for that hint of creaminess. I use avocado oil mayonnaise.
- Salt and pepper: To season and taste.
How to Make Healthy Coleslaw
- Add all ingredients: In a large bowl, add coleslaw, dill (if using), Greek yogurt, mayo, salt and pepper. No need to whisk your easy healthy coleslaw dressing separately.
- Stir: Gently toss until combined, about 3-4 minutes. Usually tongs work the best!
- Chill: Refrigerate coleslaw salad for 5-30 minutes to allow flavours “to mingle”. Then toss again and serve.
I updated this recipe in December 2020 and there is full recipe card below, including old recipe.
Yes! Strips of colorful red bell pepper, peas, or even chopped celery. This is a great chance to use up vegetables in the refrigerator.
For additional ‘tang’ to the healthy coleslaw dressing add 1-2 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice, or for a sweeter touch add apple cider vinegar.
You could use a non dairy yogurt and vegan mayo but taste will change. And unless you can find a Greek non dairy yogurt dressing will be thinner in consistency.
Can This Be Made Ahead?
Add all ingredients to a bowl and do not stir. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Combine when ready to serve.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Refrigerate leftovers in airtight container for up to 2 days. Give it a stir before serving.
Make a new meal out of leftovers by adding healthy coleslaw to chicken quinoa bowl or tucking slaw into healthy chicken lettuce wraps.
This healthy coleslaw recipe makes 6 servings as a side salad and about 12 pulled pork sandwiches. For a larger crowd at a potluck, buy bigger bag of cabbage and double the amount of healthy coleslaw dressing.
Here are more pairing ideas for healthy coleslaw:
More Cabbage Recipes
Also check out all my healthy salad recipes in case you are hosting or are invited. Don’t fret.
Easy Healthy Coleslaw with Greek Yogurt
- 1 lb bag of coleslaw 6 cups
- 1/4 cup dill or parsley finely chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt 2% fat and higher
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add coleslaw, dill (if using), yogurt, mayo, salt and pepper.
- Gently toss until combined. Refrigerate coleslaw salad for 5-30 minutes to allow flavours "to mingle". Then toss and serve.
- Serve as a salad or I highly recommend to make my healthy pulled pork and top with this healthy slaw. Yum!
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Make ahead: Add all ingredients to a bowl and do not stir. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Combine when ready to serve.
- Old recipe: I updated recipe in Dec 2020. If you like old no mayo coleslaw recipe, use for dressing: 3/4 cup whole plain yogurt, 2 tsp vinegar, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp maple syrup and 3/4 tsp salt.
- Yogurt: I tried using 0% yogurt and dressing was flat and chalky. You can use regular (not Greek) yogurt but make sure to use at least 3.5% then.
- Cabbage: Feel free to shred about 6 cups of green, purple or both cabbages using a mandoline. Or if you are skilled enough, a sharp chef’s knife. Can also grate medium carrot and throw it in.
- Dill or parsley (optional): Fresh herbs are absolutely optional and I add them only if they are in my veggie drawers. Just like with a beef stew or chicken and potatoes, fresh herbs take any dish to the next level.
- Sandwich: Instant Pot pulled pork with healthy coleslaw is a must sandwich idea for potlucks and picnics in the summer!
thank you, thank you, thank you
Glad you enjoyed it!
Olena, this Coleslaw dressing is so good! Thank you from a fellow Canadian. 💞
I’m a lifetime WW…. I used FF Mayo, and low-fat regular yogurt ( I get it free from family member that works for Dannon, just to use it up 😉). I did add tsp of honey…. Stay tuned… won’t try til tomorrow. Thank you!
I had sadly given up on this recipe after 3 attempts, with various yogurts, where I had to get rid of my whole coleslaw as I couldn’t bare the taste and texture of it.
I’m so happy I tried again, I finally found the perfect combination for me, yay!!! This time I used Balkan 6% plain yogurt, avocado mayo and a bit of honey!
So easy and delicious! It’s coming back often 🙂
As you know, the right yogurt is key. Glad you persisted and have a go-to recipe!
Hello, Im new here. Where can I find the shopping list for the recipes?
Hi Melinda! The shopping list is provided for those subscribed to the weekly meal plans. You can check that option out here if you are interested:
This was fantastic! I am trying to lower my cholesterol so mayo is a no-no. I didn’t have high hopes since my regular coleslaw dressing is amazing (although now off-limits). It was sweet, tangy and tasty. Even my husband loved it. We will definitely be making this again!
Yay! Glad you found a replacement mayo recipe that you love 🙂
I made it with 11% Organic Krema plain yogurt and OMG. I am patting myself on the back. So good, and while it may be higher in fat than 3.5%, it is still a simple low ingredient count dressing. HIGHLY recommend a higher fat count yogurt. Thanks for this!
Thanks for sharing Charity.
Coleslaw turned out great! Substituted Turkey for pork in BBQ sand. for an even healthier option with low carb. wheat buns! Yum My family loved it.
So happy to hear this Kelly!
I used Greek yogurt. This was my first time to have slaw with a pulled pork sandwich…I’m a believer now!! Wow! Amazing!
Yay! Glad my recipe sold you on Greek yogurt Julie!
I frequently make coleslaw but never used anything but mayo. Your dressing made all the difference! Thanks!!