I have had purple cabbage coleslaw mixed with easy peanut sauce and crunchy peanuts on my mind for a long time. In other words – a killer peanut slaw recipe!
I do love Thai food flavors. I got Pad Thai zucchini noodles, Thai salmon, Thai turkey meatballs and Thai cauliflower rice under my sleeve. Now, slaw. But it is not really that Thai because I haven’t used coconut milk or red curry paste typically found in Thai cooking but at same time peanuts, bean sprouts, cilantro and green onions. Let’s Call it Asian peanut slaw.
Tips for Best Healthy Peanut Slaw
- Shred cabbage using mandoline. It makes the best uniform thinner shape slaw perfect for salads.
- Use organic or at least all natural peanut butter. “Regular” peanut butter is loaded with hydrogenated oils and pesticides.
- To make ahead, add peanuts and peanut sauce right before serving.
Easy Peanut Sauce
Oh my, this peanut sauce is so good I have a separate recipe for it. Creamy, healthy and hits the spot when your tastebuds crave that umami flavor. Peanut butter, soy sauce and garlic. Oh-la-la.
Tip: Dress the salad right before serving because cabbage soaks up the peanut sauce. I did that mistake and we ate a dryer slaw for about 3 days. Still very good but I would rather have fresh saucy than soggy slaw.
What to Serve With?
This peanut slaw is so filling, you can easily serve it along brown rice, quinoa or noodles for a healthy vegan dinner. Doesn’t hurt many of us to eat less meat. To be honest, that’s the only way we eat it.:) But you can also add shredded chicken or cooked baby shrimp.
More Healthy Coleslaw Recipes to Try:
- Healthy coleslaw – a classic made without loads of mayo.
- Ukrainian dill coleslaw – simple slaw with oil and vinegar.
- Mango slaw – the best accompaniment for salmon burger and shrimp tacos!
10 minute crunchy Asian peanut slaw with creamy peanut sauce. Make ahead.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1/2 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 10 oz bag carrot matchsticks or shredded carrots
- 8 oz bag bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onion sprigs, chopped
- Peanut Sauce
- Prepare peanut sauce.
- In a large bowl, add cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, peanuts, cilantro and green onions. Pour peanut sauce and gently mix for a few minutes. Serve immediately or prepare in advance and combine right before serving.
Store: Refrigerate in a glass airtight container for up to 3 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.