I have been craving carrot oatmeal muffins for weeks. Since I always have bags and bags of organic carrots on hand, this recipe was a no special grocery store trip. These days I cook with organic ingredients I purchased at a reasonable price rather than a recipe idea out of the blue. Eating seasonal makes eating 90% organic possible. And you can’t beat a 2 lbs bag of carrots for $2, can’t you?! Even Walmart carries organic carrots. I also found lemons, bananas, fresh herbs and different salad greens there.
Carrots make muffins sweet and moist naturally, without loads of sugar and any oil. I made two batches of these carrot oatmeal muffins with applesauce: one with oat bran and another one with quick oats. Both came out delicious and fluffy. I also added raisins and walnut pieces. I froze zero muffins because they were so delicious we ate them all and shared with neighbours.
On another note, yesterday was another grocery store trip in attempt to buy mostly organic. First I went to the Real Canadian Superstore where I got most items organic except cantaloupe, honeydew and cabbage which are on Clean Fifteen list and simply to find them organic is close to impossible or bank breaking. Then I ended up at Thrifty Foods for the greens: kale, leeks, swiss chard and some coconut milk (was too dark and late for pictures).
Enjoy these carrot oatmeal muffins! They are perfect for lunches and snacks!
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots, packed
- 1 cup oat bran or quick/rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup raisins or chopped dates (not packed)
- 1/3 cup nuts, coarsely chopped (walnuts (I used cheaper pieces rather than whole), pecans, hazelnuts)
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, applesauce, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, salt and whisk well to combine. Add carrots and stir a few times. Add oat bran or oats and whole wheat flour; gently mix until combined. Do not over mix. Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Distribute batter evenly between 12 openings of a tin (I used regular ice cream scoop) and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let muffins cool for a few minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving = 1 muffin:
Total Fat: 3.7 g
Cholesterol: 35.8 mg
Sodium: 202.3 mg
Total Carbs: 27.5 g
Sugars: 12.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.7 g
Protein: 4.4 g
WW Points+: 4