Under 40 minutes and you have a healthy dinner with leftovers the whole family will love. Use any firm veggies you got on hand.
Sautéed chicken with bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli and quinoa. All in one skillet and takes less than 40 minutes to make. I do love simple dinners and my chicken. My garden is not overflowing with vegetables but my local farm market is.
As much as I love cooking, I equally do not enjoy gardening. This summer I haven’t planted even a single herb. Alex volunteered to stick 2 tomato and 2 cucumber plants for the kids. Where as I chose to lay on a swing, listen to the waterfall and admire the figs, apples and pears I will be picking soon. Yay for fruit trees.
Anyways, back to the skillet. In Ukrainian cooking, garlic and onion make a base for stews, sauces and gravies. And that’s what I did for this quinoa skillet. So easy, you will be like “What?!”. Seriously, sautéed garlic and onion make everything taste better. So cheap and simple. Browned bell peppers are 10 times more fragrant than raw. So, I did that. Think of a roasted pepper, same idea.
Then I added quinoa, spices and water. Covered and cooked just until quinoa became al dente. Next I added my firm veggies – broccoli and zucchini. Adding them later prevents mushy vegetables skillet. You could also use asparagus, snap peas or cauliflower.
Cover and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is soft. Add tomatoes for some sweet punch, sprinkle with fresh herbs and your dinner is ready. Like I said, play around with veggies and use what your family likes. Fresh herb ideas are dill, parsley, basil or green onion. Anything you got in your garden, if you have one. Enjoy!
- 1 large onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 large bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered
- 1 bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 10 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch parsley/dill/basil, finely chopped
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers and saute for 3 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add quinoa, water, bay leaves and stir. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, reduce heat to lower medium and cook for 12 minutes.
- Now it's time to add vegetables. At this point quinoa should be cooked al dente. Add zucchini and broccoli. Stir, cover with a lid and cook on low-medium for 15 more minutes. Add grape tomatoes and parsley, stir and remove from heat. Serve hot.
I made a serving size = 2 cups because this skillet is full of vegetables.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 2 cups:
Total Fat: 6.0 g
Cholesterol: 73.3 mg
Sodium: 911.2 mg
Total Carbs: 36.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 6.9 g
Protein: 43.2 g
WW Points+: 9
Before you go. Because this pizza recipe is so popular, I figured out you like quick and healthy dinners.
It took me 3 months and I came up with 30 Quick Clean Dinner Recipes eBook.
30 practical healthy recipes that you can prepare after work, in under 40 minutes, or even better come home to a ready meal simmering in your crock pot. That was the goal. The eBook includes 20+ gluten free, 13 crock pot & 12 vegetarian recipes. Visit eBook page here to learn more.