While great America is pulling on their stretchy pants, here in Canada we are long past that stage. It is Christmas craziness which I can’t seem to get a hang of just yet. All I keep hearing is Cabo’s waves and dreaming of long walks on the never ending beach.
This Mexican turkey meatballs recipe came from Lexi’s new cookbook Lexi’s Clean Kitchen.
The meatballs are super simple – ground turkey, cheese, green onions, garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt. Do not skip the cheese. Cheese or an egg makes meatballs moist.
I doubled the recipe because newlywed Lexi’s food consumption doesn’t come even close to Olena’s bursting at seams with testosterone house.
For a side, I made brown rice. Chopped tomatoes, red onion and cilantro to make a lazy pico de gallo. And smashed some avocado with garlic and cilantro to make even lazier guacamole. If you are Mexican, judge me all you want re: garlic but this is how I like my Ukrainian guacamole.
What is great about this recipe is that it can be served as an appetizer. Yaaaay. Those are always tricky to make clean. These meatballs were so easy to make within 20 minutes and came out delicious and full of flavour!
By 3PM my kitchen was a disaster. BUT I cooked beans => learn how to cook dried beans, tested roasted red pepper lasagna slow cooker and made turkey meatball soup. That is how we roll here. And trust me I’m yet to throw out any food. Everything gets eaten here.
Prepare to be amazed, Olena.
Mexican Turkey Meatballs
- 2 lbs ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Avocado, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper.
- Tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.*
- In a large mixing bowl, add turkey, cheese, green onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and mix well using your hands. Form into 30 golf ball size meatballs (I use small ice cream scoop).
- Bake meatballs in 2 batches for 15 minutes or until browned. Serve hot with brown rice/quinoa, guacamole and pico de gallo. Or serve as an appy.
Recipe from Lexi's Clean Kitchen Cookbook. *I used dark baking sheet. Light colour like aluminum will increase baking time.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 5 meatballs:
Total Fat: 13.8 g
Cholesterol: 116.6 mg
Sodium: 559.4 mg
Total Carbs: 0.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 31.7 g
WW Points+: 6