This Simple Avocado Salad Recipe is the perfect substitute to easy guacamole for avocado lovers. With just three main ingredients, you’ll be mind blown at how delicious and healthy this side dish tastes!
Table of contents
This avocado recipe with its careful selection of green onions in place of the classic cilantro manages to hold its own without simply tasting like un-mashed guac.
All you need is just three main ingredients plus salt and pepper! What could be easier?!
Avocado is probably actually one of my favorite additions to any fresh salad. It’s an antioxidant rich ingredient that adds just the right amount of creaminess to a chickpea salad with avocado.
This simple avocado salad pairs wonderfully with all your favorite Mexican and Tex Mex dishes. One of our family favorites is this Mexican kale salad but it’s equally as great added to healthy taco salad!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Avocado: If you’re wanting to make the avocado “on the day”, then purchase your avocado ripe. Otherwise, it’s best to purchase them unripened rather than risk them going bad before you get around to the recipe.
- Lemon Juice: Or optionally lime juice. Not bottled, freshly squeezed.
- Green Onions: Thinly sliced green onions pair amazingly with ripe avocado. You can also experiment with other herbs like parsley.
How to Make Simple Avocado Salad
Cut each avocado in half and remove the pit: To do this, abruptly stick the sharp end of a knife into the pit and twist it.
Be careful when removing the pit from your knife, learn the correct way in this how to cut an avocado tutorial!
Then cut each half into 2-3 strips depending how wide is your fruit. Then peel and slice. This way, the avocado slices won’t get squashed when you chop them into cubes.
Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl: Combine the avocados, green onion, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir gently with a wooden spoon. That’s it!
Tips for Best Results
- Use firm yet ripe avocado: It should be firm yet give slightly when gently squeezed. If it’s overripe it will be too soft and “mushy” when squeezing.
- Use a wooden spoon: Avocado can be delicate, a wooden spoon or spatula is better for gently stirring your salad together.
- Fresh lemon juice: Or lime juice. Please don’t use bottled. This salad has such simple ingredients that you really need to use the best, freshest ingredients.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are a few simple add-ins you may enjoy that still keep avocados as the star.
- Other vegetables: A handful of grape or cherry tomatoes, 1/2 a small cucumber chopped into quartered slices, some chopped bell pepper or sliced red onion.
- Other herbs: You can also experiment with parsley but be careful of cilantro as it will just make this simple salad taste like guacamole.
- Cheese: A little crumbled feta cheese, goat cheese, or similar type of cheese will elevate the flavor of this easy avocado salad recipe further.
- Salad dressing: If you want to boost the flavor further, then the addition of a simple herby olive oil-based dressing would work wonders as I used for this white bean salad.
How To Store This Salad
Storing: Like many avocado recipes, as soon as the fruit is exposed to oxygen, it will start to oxidize and brown. Though the lemon juice will help keep them green for longer, this avocado salad is best eaten within 6 hours.
You may be able to keep it for up to a day if it’s stored wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or an airtight container.
To make ahead: You can chop and toss the avocado in the citrus juice up to four hours before adding the remaining ingredients and serving.
What to Serve It With
The versatility of this easy salad really shines through when it comes to deciding what to pair it with for dinner. Here are just a few of my top suggestions besides scooping it with tortilla chips.
- Tacos: To be scooped into or served alongside any of these healthy taco recipes.
- Chili: As a topping for reader favorite turkey chili.
- Seasonal proteins: Like Mexican meatballs in the winter or coconut lime grilled chicken thighs in the summer.
- Casseroles: As a top or side to this sweet potato egg bake for a brinner!
More Healthy Avocado Recipes
- Avocado blueberry quinoa salad
- Avocado cilantro dressing
- Asparagus salad
- Smoked salmon salad
- Shrimp ceviche
You may love to browse my list of over 50 healthy salad recipes!
Simple Avocado Salad Recipe
- To cut avocados, cut each fruit in half and remove the pit. I abruptly stick sharp end of the knife into the pit and twist it.
- Then cut each half into 2-3 strips (depends how wide), peel and slice. This way avocado slices do not turn into a mush.
- In a large salad bowl, add avocados, green onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon and consume within next 5-6 hours. Great on its own, on a toasted pita or in a wrap.
- Storing: This avocado salad is best eaten within 6 hours due to oxidation. You may be able to keep it for up to a day if it’s stored wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or an airtight container.
- Make ahead: Chop and toss the avocado in the citrus juice up to four hours before adding the remaining ingredients and serving.
- Avocado: Use a firm yet ripe avocado that has a slight give when squeezed.
- Lemon juice: Or optionally lime juice. Please don’t use bottled.
- Other herbs: Use parsley or basil but be careful of cilantro as it will make the salad taste like guacamole.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes without permission. Nutritional info is approximate.