Healthy Chocolate Ice Cream with only 3 ingredients and completely refined sugar free. Made with no banana, this healthy ice cream rich chocolate flavor and creamy texture will surprise you.
Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
Light, creamy and full of chocolate!
This 3 ingredient healthy chocolate ice cream is our family’s favourite that I have been making all winter long. Just been waiting for hot weather to hit our neck of the woods to share it with you.
I find this vegan chocolate ice cream so easy to make. Easier than traditional cream, eggs and sugar one. I believe it is also more healthy and tasty.
Only 3 ingredients!!!
- Coconut milk or cream
- Medjool dates
- Cacao powder
Why Use Dates?
I love using dates in this recipe because I love to think I’m eating a fruit while going for another spoonful of ice cream.
Dates are so sweet (from fructose), you don’t need to add honey or maple syrup (sugar is sugar). Naturally occurring fructose has lower glycemic index than coconut palm sugar, honey or maple syrup.
Can I Use Other Dates?
There are many varieties of dates. If you live in North America, chances are you are familiar with 2 kinds:
- Medjool dates – “Meaty”, large in size, very soft to touch and moist dates. Their skin is a bit crinkled. That’s what we need.
- Small dates – These are very popular dates in our supermarkets as well. They are much smaller in size than Medjool dates. And more hard to touch and dry.
You have to use Medjool dates. Medjool dates prevent ice cream from freezing into a solid ice rock thanks to their “meaty” texture. They add a lot of volume to healthy chocolate ice cream.
What Is the Best Coconut Milk for Healthy Chocolate Ice Cream?
What coconut milk you use makes or breaks the deal with vegan ice cream.
Your coconut milk has to be:
- From a can – Carton coconut milk is not the same. It is extremely diluted with water for drinking purposes.
- Full fat – Please no low fat coconut milk. Recipe will not work.
- Contain guar gum – If you pay attention to quality brands like Thai Kitchen, you will see “guar gum” on the ingredients list. It makes milk smooth.
Please avoid Asian brands of coconut milk. They contain preservatives and are gritty. I also do not like Everland or Native Forest brands even though they are organic. They are gritty and chocolate ice cream will not be smooth.
Use tried and true coconut milk that you know produces creamy results.
Do I Need to Use Blender and Ice Cream Machine?
Yes and yes.
You could use food processor. Ice cream will not be as smooth but still will work. I am afraid cheaper blender might have difficulty to puree dates. Unless you have a “good cheap blender”. You know what I mean?!
Ice cream machine churns the ice cream. It prevents a solid blob of frozen mixture but rather produces a smooth consistency of ice cream.
How to Make Healthy Chocolate Ice Cream
- Freeze ice cream machine bowl for 18 – 24 hours.
- Blend coconut milk, cacao powder, dates and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into ice cream machine and churn for 45 – 60 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips if desired.
What Will Consistency Be Like?
Right after churning, ice cream will be of soft serve consistency. It is absolutely my favourite.
If you like more firm traditional ice cream, place the ice cream machine bowl with ice cream in a freezer for 15-20 minutes to firm up.
What is nice about homemade chocolate ice cream is that you can add your favorite flavors right when blending, churning or into individual bowls.
- Peanut butter – Add spoonful drops of peanut butter during last minute of churning to create swirls.
- Chocolate chips – Just like with peanut butter, add at the very end of churning just enough to mix in.
- Mint – Add peppermint extract to a blender.
- Pitted cherries – Fresh or frozen, add at the end of churning.
Freeze for Later
You can freeze leftovers for up to 2 weeks. Transfer ice cream into airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
It takes 15 minutes to defrost this healthy chocolate ice cream. And it will be still creamy and not icy. Thanks to Medjool dates!
More Healthy Frozen Desserts to Try
- Vegan vanilla ice cream
- Mango coconut ice cream
- Healthy popsicles
- Healthy key lime pie bars
- Browse all healthy frozen desserts.
Healthy Chocolate Ice Cream
- 14 oz can coconut milk full fat*
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 10 Medjool dates pitted
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips optional
- Place ice cream machine bowl in the freezer for 18 - 24 hours.
- In a high speed blender**, combine coconut milk, cacao powder, dates and vanilla. Process until smooth.
- Turn on ice cream machine and pour mixture into it.
- Let ice cream churn until soft serve like consistency (my machine takes about 45 - 60 minutes).
- Add chocolate chips or other flavors***( if desired) and let machine incorporate them into the ice cream.
- Serve immediately. Ice cream will be soft serve consistency (my favourite) but you can place it in a freezer for a bit to firm up.
Store: Freeze leftovers in a glass airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- From a can - Carton coconut milk is not the same. It is extremely diluted with water for drinking purposes.
- Full fat - Please no low fat coconut milk. Recipe will not work.
- Contain guar gum - If you pay attention to quality brands like Thai Kitchen, you will see "guar gum" on the ingredients list. It makes milk smooth.
- Peanut butter - Add spoonful drops of peanut butter during last minute of churning to create swirls.
- Chocolate chips - Just like with peanut butter, add at the very end of churning just enough to mix in.
- Mint - Add peppermint extract to a blender.
- Pitted cherries - Fresh or frozen, add at the end of churning.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.