Vegetarian spinach lentil soup with spinach, tomatoes and green lentils shared by my Italian neighbour. It is quick, healthy and filling.
I used organic green lentils that are a great source of vegetarian protein. With about 30% of their calories from protein, lentils have the third-highest level of protein of any legume or nut, after soybeans and hemp. Lentils are also full of fiber, folate, vitamin B1 and a good source of iron. They do not require soaking like beans, which makes them convenient for quick night vegetarian meals like this easy green lentil curry or a bit more labour intensive but still delicious chicken and lentil casserole.
Spinach Lentil Soup
Spinach Lentil Soup is easy vegan soup recipe with green lentils, spinach and diced tomatoes shared by my Italian neighbour.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups green lentils, rinsed
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 6 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat large pot on medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and add garlic and onions. Saute until translucent. Add carrots and celery and saute for 5 more minutes. Add lentils and saute for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes. Add spinach, remove from heat and let stand covered a few minutes. Serve warm garnished with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.