To me, an obvious healthy food enthusiast, there is nothing better than making a healthy dinner with fresh vegetables and herbs on a summer day. And this easy and healthy black bean quinoa casserole is perfect for that. Its flavours scream summer: black beans, corn, bell peppers, cilantro, scallions and coconut milk. A hybrid of modern Mexican and Thai cuisines.
Quinoa is great for using in casseroles because unlike brown rice it is ready in 10 minutes, delivering 8 grams of protein, 3 grams of fat and 5 grams of fiber. Run to the store and add 2 more quinoa casseroles to your “to try” list: spinach artichoke quinoa casserole and ground turkey quinoa casserole with spinach.
This casserole is magically a make ahead and a freezer meal, instructions included. Enjoy!
How to Make Black Bean Quinoa Casserole
Cook that superfood quinoa.
While quinoa is cooking, chop-chop-chop.
Sauté veggies with cumin, corn and black beans. Mmmmmm.
Combining sauteed veggies, pre-cooked quinoa, coconut milk, cheese, cilantro and onion creates a delicious casserole that really stands out from any traditional casseroles you are used too. And it’s healthy too! Layers upon layers of flavours!
As all ingredients are already cooked you just need to put casserole in the oven for “everyone” to “marry” each other. Just until the cheese melts and bubbles, for about 30 minutes.
Garnishing with fresh herbs really helps to bring out the flavours of the casserole.
Black bean quinoa casserole tastes even better the next day and is great for freezing and preparing ahead. Enjoy!
Black Bean Quinoa Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, dry
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups corn, canned or frozen
- 3 large bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped and divided
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped and divided
- 2 cups Tex Mex cheese, shredded and divided
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions undercooking by 4 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Add corn, bell peppers, jalapenos and cumin. Stir and sauté undisturbed for 3 minutes, stir again and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl along with cooked quinoa, black beans, 3/4 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup green onions, 1 1/2 cups cheese, coconut milk and salt. Mix well, transfer to 8 x 11 baking dish, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and 1/4 cup green onions, and serve warm. No need to let the casserole cool down.