Spaghetti squash boats with chicken in creamy Alfredo sauce is comfort food made lighter by replacing traditional pasta with tender spaghetti squash and heavy cream with not less creamy but so much healthier Greek yogurt. Without sacrificing the flavour of course – garlic and freshly grated Parmesan cheese add so much flavour to the sauce.
To make chicken and spaghetti squash boats I used one medium spaghetti squash because I couldn’t find small ones at nearby grocery stores that day. So, I ate half of one shell and saved the rest for lunch next day. So, don’t be scared by the nutritional info below. I guarantee you won’t be able to eat the whole half in one sitting (unless you are my husband).
Feel free to use store bought cooked chicken (although it’s very high in sodium and usually preservatives), grilled or poached.
Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 1 medium spaghetti squash*
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 3/4 cup chicken stock, low sodium
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups (6 oz) cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees F. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out. Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool until safe to the touch, about 15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic and saute for a minute or two or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Add chicken stock, cornstarch, salt, pepper and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes until sauce has thickened a bit. Remove from heat, add Parmesan cheese and stir until smooth and cheese has melted. Add Greek yogurt and stir again until smooth. Add chicken and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Using a fork, separate spaghetti squash into strands leaving them inside the shells. Scoop Chicken Alfredo sauce on top of each shell and gently move around with a fork to make the sauce settle deeper into the spaghetti squash. Top each shell with 2 tbsp Mozzarella, place in a baking dish and bake for 10 - 12 minutes and then broil on High for 5 more minutes. Stir the squash with a sauce a bit before serving and serve hot.
*I recommend using 2 small spaghetti squash instead. The day I made this recipe, all grocery stores near me were out of small spaghetti squash. There is no way I could eat a half of a medium spaghetti squash in one sitting. It makes 2 meals for me. So, if you are serving 4 people, get small spaghetti squash. If it's only you and a partner, save the unfinished shell for later. That's what we did since our kids do not eat spaghetti squash.
Servings Per Recipe: 2*
Amount Per Serving = 1 shell:
Total Fat: 20.0 g
Cholesterol: 74.9 mg
Sodium: 1,419.1 mg
Total Carbs: 37.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 6.5 g
Protein: 47.4 g
WW Points+: 13
**I recommend using 2 small spaghetti squash instead (see note above). If you do that, just divide the Nutritional Info in half for each serving.