This green lentil curry made with green lentils, coconut milk, tomato paste and spices is an old-old recipe of mine that was screaming for picture makeovers. I also re-tested it to make stovetop and slow cooker friendly.
So, you have 2 options depending whether you want to come back home to “an Indian restaurant” or rather quickly whip it up on a stovetop while sipping on a glass of wine and listening to Frank Sinatra. The latter is my favourite way to cook (sans wine most times of course) and kids always ask me why am I listening to Christmas music?! Silly-silly boys.
How to Make Green Lentil Curry
I absolutely love lentils.
Lentils are dirt cheap (even organic – that is what I buy) and make amazing lentil casserole, spinach lentil soup and even lentil chili. We don’t eat lentils all the time but every few weeks for sure.
I originally had this recipe named “5 Ingredient Green Lentil Curry” which is true and not. It really consists of 5 ingredients besides spices and water.
I did make a salad to go with the curry. With Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, salt, pepper and oil. I absolutely LOVE pairing curry with fresh veggie salad. It gives it another layer of flavours.
And as for spices, I’m always keeping it on a safe side for my North American kids to eat. So, double, triple them if you want. Really, whatever tastes good to your mouth.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 14 oz can coconut milk, full fat
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups green lentils, uncooked & rinsed
- 3 cups water
- Cilantro and/or green onions, for garnish
- Greek yogurt and avocado, for serving
- Slow Cooker Method: Preheat small skillet on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic, cook until golden brown (5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add turmeric, coriander, curry powder, cumin and salt; cook for another 30 seconds, stirring frequently. This will allow the depth of flavour in spices to develop. Transfer to a slow cooker and add coconut milk, tomato paste, water and lentils. Stir to combine, cover and cook on High for at least 3 - 4 hours or on Low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Stovetop Method: Preheat dutch oven or heavy bottom medium pot on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic, cook until golden brown (5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add turmeric, coriander, curry powder, cumin and salt; cook for another 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, water, lentils and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover and cook on low for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro/green onions.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1.25 cup:
Total Fat: 10.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 351.2 mg
Total Carbs: 35.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 12.9 g
Protein: 11.6 g
WW Points+: 7