Easy Baked Salmon Recipe
Stop wondering what to do with salmon every time you buy one. Today we are going to learn how to bake salmon fillet in foil with simple seasonings in 20 minutes. It’s juicy, flaky , quick and easy! Your mother-in-law will be begging for the recipe!
Why Bake Salmon Wrapped in Foil
Foil wrapped salmon retains its moisture and cooks faster. In fact, I think it’s one of the best ways to cook salmon in the oven. If you notice, I also wrap salmon in parchment paper before foil wrapping to prevent harmful chemicals leaching into salmon from the foil when in the oven. You can skip the parchment paper if you wish, however it takes a minute and makes my sleep at night better.
Farmed Salmon Vs. Wild
Farm raised salmon is much higher in contaminants found in the water they swim in and food they eat. Its diet consists of a processed high-fat feed in order to produce larger fish. Farmed salmon contains 46% more calories (mostly from fat), slightly more Omega-3s, much more Omega-6 fatty acids and 3 times the amount of saturated fat than wild salmon.
Wild caught salmon eats natural food in the ocean and contains more minerals. It has 3 times less Omega-6 fatty acids which are known to cause inflammation, our Western diet culprit.
Obviously, wild salmon like sockeye, coho and spring is more healthy choice than farmed. I know it’s pricey therefore salmon is a treat for us. We better cook it right – this salmon recipe just has to work!:)
I like to use boneless whole fillet with skin. You can certainly use skinless but my boys love skin. If you don’t like skin, just separate cooked salmon pieces from the skin with spatula when serving. Do not waste your time to remove skin before cooking salmon.
How to Save Money on Wild Salmon
By buying whole fillet of salmon you don’t pay for someone’s time to fillet it. It takes 5 minutes to fillet it yourself.
Frozen salmon is usually cheaper than fresh salmon. However, a lot of “fresh” salmon sold in stores has been previously frozen at sea.
Use Pink Salmon or Trout
Pink salmon is salmon with light pink colour, just like the name suggests, that is widely populated and therefore more affordable than sockeye, for example. It still will be delicious!
Trout is delicious too. Smaller in size but a tasty cousin of salmon.
How to Fillet a Whole Fresh Salmon
You can save about $5/lb if you buy whole fresh salmon and fillet it yourself. Which is SUPER easy. I do it all the time!
- Using fillet knife, cut whole salmon as close to main bone as possible.
- Then using fillet knife again, remove main bone from the other fillet as close to the flesh as possible. Cut into smaller fillets.
- You can remove smaller bones using your fingers or tweezers. That’s it!!!
What Is The Best Seasoning for Salmon
This one! I’m from Ukraine and I believe in power of garlic. AND moderate amount of butter. I’m sorry but many recipes use way too much butter to season salmon with. Salmon fillet is already fatty enough, it doesn’t need much more fats.
Easy Baked Salmon Seasoning Ingredients
- Melted butter
- Grated garlic
- Lemon juice
- Fresh parsley
How Long to Bake Salmon at 375 Degrees
20 minutes. That’s it. Thanks, foil!
Can You Bake Frozen Salmon
Yes. Previously frozen and completely thawed salmon is good. Commercial fishermen flash freeze salmon at sea, so most salmon sold in stores is previously frozen anyways. If you buy frozen, you will save more money.
How to Make Baked Salmon Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with foil, 2 pieces overlapping each other and wider than the baking sheet. On top, place a piece of unbleached parchment paper the length of a salmon fillet. Place salmon fillet skin side down (if any) on top of parchment paper. Rub with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Now you have to seal salmon completely in aluminum foil to ensure proper cooking. First enclose salmon in parchment paper – this ensures no harmful chemicals from aluminum are leaching into your food.
- Then fold the sides of the foil over the salmon to cover and seal it completely. Bake for 20 minutes.
- 5 minutes before salmon is ready, in a small saucepan melt butter on low heat. Add garlic and lemon juice, stir.
- Remove salmon from the oven. Carefully open the packet wearing oven mitts and brush baked salmon fillet with garlic butter.
- Sprinkle with parsley, cut into 5 pieces and serve as you wish.
What to Make with Salmon
More Easy Healthy Salmon Recipes
- Honey garlic salmon – pan fried until crispy
- Thai salmon – broiled with homemade Thai sauce
- Lime ginger salmon – Asian twist on salmon
- Salmon stir fry – yes, you can cook it with tons of veggies
- Salmon burger recipe – no bread or breadcrumbs and so easy!!!
- One pan salmon – in honey garlic sauce with brussels sprouts and butternut squash
- Cedar plank salmon – with Thai sauce and smoky flavour (OMG!)
Easy Baked Salmon Recipe in Foil
How to bake salmon fillet in foil with simple seasonings in 20 minutes. Healthy, moist, easy and SO GOOD!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs whole salmon fillet, boneless (skin on or off)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line large baking sheet with 2 overlapping each other pieces of aluminum foil wider than the baking sheet. On top, place a piece of unbleached parchment paper the length of a salmon fillet.
- Place salmon fillet skin side down (if any) on top of parchment paper. Rub with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Now you have to seal salmon completely in foil to ensure proper cooking. First enclose salmon in parchment paper – this ensures no harmful chemicals from aluminum are leaching into your food. Then fold the sides of the foil over the salmon to cover and seal it completely. Bake for 20 minutes.
- 5 minutes before salmon is ready, in a small saucepan melt butter on low heat. Add garlic and lemon juice, stir. Remove salmon from the oven. Carefully open the packet wearing oven mitts and brush baked salmon fillet with garlic butter. Sprinkle with parsley, cut into 5 pieces and serve as you wish.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 days.
Make Ahead: Follow the recipe up to and including Step 3 but bake any time within next 48 hours.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.