Oh, this Mexican kale salad is sooo good! A heat wave hit Vancouver and I have been spending every day at the beach. Plus, my mom has been visiting, which is a precious gift. Needless to say, it’s too hot and little time to cook. My new gas stove warms up the kitchen way faster than my old electric one. Hearty salads like Mango Black Bean Salad, Mexican Bean Salad Recipe and Chickpea Avocado Salad are my best friends right now. And this Mexican kale salad is on top of the list – veggies combined with a bit of jalapenos for a heat kick, red onion, cilantro and tossed in a tangy, creamy with a cumin flavour punch dressing. Each serving offers 11 g of fat, 10 g of fiber and 7 g of protein. Serve alongside grilled chicken and your dinner is done!
Have you ever tried making creamy cilantro avocado dressing? It is amazing! Just avocado, lime juice, warm water and cumin. No need for oil since avocado contains healthy fats. Yes, adding water to salad dressings is a new way to roll. Try it, you will love it!
The result is unbelievable: hearty and crunchy salad, where veggies are literally “swimming” in a dressing, a healthy one. I don’t know about you but I haven’t had a salad like this for a long time since I started eating clean. Usually “swimming” salads are not a good thing.
I used baby kale (=> another baby kale salad recipe alert) from a huge bag I got from Costco. The leaves’ shape reminds me of an oak. We had a lot of oak trees in Ukraine. You can use full grown kale, just don’t forget to remove the stalks. Canned or cooked beans (learn => how to cook dried beans), canned, fresh or frozen (what I had) corn, as well as big or small variety of tomatoes would work. I also added cucumber one time – it was refreshing.
- 4 cups baby or full-grown kale (stalks removed & coarsely chopped), packed
- 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used my cooked beans)
- 1 cup corn (thaw if using frozen)
- 2 large bell peppers (any colour), finely chopped
- 1 + 1/2 large avocado, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp jalapeño peppers, seeded & minced
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add Salad ingredients to a large bowl. In a food processor, blender or Magic Bullet, process Dressing ingredients until smooth. Pour over salad, toss and serve. P.S. You could prepare Salad and Dressing in advance and combine before serving. The Dressing does get brown a bit but once mixed with the Salad, it's not noticeable.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 + 2/3 cups:
Total Fat: 11.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 376.5 mg
Total Carbs: 29.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 10.1 g
Protein: 7.5 g
WW Points+: 6