I make pasta at least once a week. Kids love it and it’s easy. Healthy pasta recipes are quick, budget friendly and believe it or not can be healthy. This Skillet Greek Sausage Corkscrew Toss is no exception.
Organic whole wheat pasta, tossed in light creamy sauce with all natural chicken sausage and fragrant bell peppers, sprinkled with fresh feta cheese and parsley. Dried oregano takes this dish to a new you, Greek Goddess, level!
Pasta is a staple item in my pantry. I got fresh (uncooked) all natural breakfast chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s. Try to find sausage with no fillers, preservatives and anything artificial. You will be shocked if you read the labels. So, beware when it comes to sausage. No need for cooking spray as sausage will have enough fat to cook itself.
It’s up to you if you want to use regular or low fat feta cheese. In the last year, I shifted more towards using real full fat products (not all) versus non fat. I mean, if I read the label of the low fat product and it has no cr@p, I’ll get it. Like skim milk is fine. Many times I use 2% milk cause I buy it for kids. I like the price and size of Costco full fat feta cheese, so I buy it. FYI, I stopped counting calories. I just eat whole foods.
I made this skillet on a soccer night. It literally took me 30 minutes from start to finish. The pasta was creamy, savoury and full of Greek flavours. I don’t know what else to say. It was awesome! LOL. I’m not the best sales man when it comes to flavours. You know what I mean?! I mean, it looks awesome, is healthy and made out of fresh ingredients. I mean, what not to like?!:)
- 4 cups whole wheat fusilli (corkscrew) pasta, uncooked
- 8 oz (10 small) uncooked all natural breakfast chicken sausage, cut into 1" pieces
- 4 medium bell peppers (any colour), cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup milk, skim
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 2 tsp oregano, dry
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Cook pasta as per package instructions, drain reserving about 2 cups of pasta water, and set aside.
- Preheat large skillet or wok on medium heat. No need to spray the skillet with cooking spray or oil as there is enough fat in sausage. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers and cook another 4 minutes or until peppers have a bit of nice golden crust, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- To the same skillet or wok, add flour and stir vigorously for about 20 seconds. Whisk milk, pasta water and oregano until all lumps are dissolved. Cook for 1 minute. Add previously cooked chicken and bell peppers, mix to combine and cook for another minute. Turn off the heat. Add pasta and mix to combine. If you want more sauce, add more reserved pasta water. Discard the rest. Sprinkle with feta cheese and parsley. Serve warm.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 2 cups:
Total Fat: 8.6 g
Cholesterol: 49.0 mg
Sodium: 631.1 mg
Total Carbs: 37.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.4 g
Protein: 20.0 g
WW Points +: 8