Bob’s Red Mill was generous enough to offer 3 lucky winners a set of 5 whole grains. They were generous enough to supply me one too. Of course, I put quinoa to good use right away and made Mediterranean Quinoa Salad Recipe.
When I combine feta, olives and red onion together, I think of a Mediterranean right away. Although I’ve never been. It’s on my “when-kids-grow-up-and-i-have-money” list. Ha, why can’t I have a dream?!
Anyways. Add Ukrainian staple veggies like tomato, cucumber and bell peppers (summer meals in Ukraine are not known without those) and Middle Eastern avocado (Alex lived in Israel for 10 years and says avocados grow everywhere, over there)?! Gotta trust my man, Alex, on this one.
And then…you add our beloved quinoa, that’s like new rice. Well, maybe it’s nothing new to you but I’m trying to keep my promise to my sweet buddy Nicole and post salads.
Huuuuuge confession: we do not eat a lot of salads in this house since I invented my Superfood Chia Green Smoothie. We drink that at least once a day. Alex always gets lucky last night leftovers because he is the first one up in the morning. But I don’t mind. Anything to keep my awesome man healthy and young!
P.S. I’m not sure how a simple healthy salad recipe turned out to be all about Alex. Love, I guess. Enjoy this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad Recipe!
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 medium avocado, peel & core removed, chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley or cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 10 Kalamata olives, pitted & cut in halves
- 1 lemon or lime, juice of
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Cook quinoa al dente. I like firm quinoa for salads, so I undercook it by 3 minutes and use ratio of 1 cup quinoa:1.25 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Or you can cook it as per package instructions.
- Add all ingredients to a large salad bowl and gently mix just enough to combine. I do not make dressing separately for this type of salad but you could by whisking together lemon (lime) juice, cumin, black pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Serve cold.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 8.6 g
Cholesterol: 2.5 mg
Sodium: 457.8 mg
Total Carbs: 29.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g
Protein: 6.0 g
WW Points+: 6