Easy warm Lemon Water Recipe is a refreshing way to stay hydrated! There are so many benefits in learning how to make this healthy drink. It’s low calorie, contains no sugar, tastes amazing, and is good for you.
Table of contents
I do not think drinking water with lemon is a cure for everything, but I still think this citrus water is pretty powerful. Just like learning how to make kombucha tea, eating borscht, or making vegetable soup.
So, while I don’t think lemon water recipe is “a miracle pill”, there are definitely health benefits from drinking it in the morning.
Chances are you wouldn’t eat half a lemon on its own each day, so adding some to water is a great alternative. It’s just good for you and your immune system!
How to Make Lemon Water
Water with lemon is simple to make, so why follow a recipe? Quite frankly, you can totally wing it! Following my tips though will ensure complete success for the perfect glass of warm lemon water detox.
All you need is ‘regular’ lemons and water. I like to choose organic lemons to avoid pesticides.
- Squeeze lemon juice into a glass. Both hand held lemon reamer and glass lemon juicer reamer work well. It’s a matter of personal preference. The only difference I have found is that the glass one catches the seeds.
- Add warm water. To make water warm, I mix boiling water with cold filtered water. Another option is to turn off kettle before water reaches boiling (you just have to wait by the kettle).
- Stir and enjoy: With a spoon and drink while warm.
Health Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water
I started drinking warm water with lemon first thing in the morning a few years ago. You can read more about the full benefits in this article from Food Matters titled health benefits of drinking warm lemon water.
I am not a doctor, but I do realize that to reap the most benefits from drinking water with lemon is that you have to drink it first thing in the morning. And it has to be warm.
Water infused with lemon is full of immune boosting vitamin C! A lemon water detox also aids your digestion, flushes out toxins, and cleanses the liver. It may also help reduce pain in your knees and joints.
Lemons and Your Teeth
A reader brought to my attention that water with citrus (lemons, limes, grapefruits and apple cider water) can damage your teeth enamel with time. Dr. Sara Solomon addresses this in her article hot lemon water and enamel erosion.
If you are consuming a water with lemon daily, it’s best to dilute lemon juice in at least 8 oz. of water, drink it through a straw and rinse right after drinking.
Also avoid brushing teeth for 60 minutes, use a soft toothbrush, and avoid aggressive brushing.
To dilute your water with lemon, I would do 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp boiling water + rest cold water.
The recipe for lemon with water listed here is for consumption right away, it must be drank warm! That being said, serving water with lemon for a party or drinking citrus water throughout the day is a refreshing way to stay hydrated.
How to make lemon water that is infused is easy! Juice lemon and add to a pitcher with filtered water. Add variation of choice and let sit in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes. Serve cold and store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Lemon ginger water: Add 1 tsp or more to taste of chopped fresh ginger to a your cup. Steep for about 2 minutes.
- Honey lemon water: Add 1 tbsp honey and stir until dissolved.
- Cucumber lemon water: Add a few slices of cucumber for a refreshing taste.
- Cayenne and lemon: Add a dash of cayenne.
- Lemon and herb: Add a few sprigs of rosemary and basil.
- Lemon, strawberry and mint: A few frozen strawberries and mint leaves.
- Other citrus plus lemon: Grapefruit, lime and orange slices.
Does Water with Lemon Make You Lose Weight?
Lemon juice itself doesn’t have fat burning properties. Despite popular belief it will not speed up your metabolism.
But it can help with weight loss if you are drinking this instead of pop or juice. Otherwise, lemon water recipe doesn’t make you lose weight on its own.
I believe it is about cooking healthy dinner ideas at home and leading a healthy lifestyle overall.
Does Lemon Water Detox Your Body?
Because it increases urine production, it will offer certain water detox benefits. Remember drink this water first thing in the morning.
Bottled lemon juice contains sulphites (preservative) and tastes weird. I would not recommend to use bottled lemon juice. It offers no health benefits compared to fresh lemon juice.
Lemon is an alkaline food. It is acidic on its own but inside your body it becomes alkaline.
Too much of anything is not good. Even too much of oven baked chicken breast can cause liver issues. Everything in moderation.
This article is for information purposes only and is not a medical advice. Please consult your physician.
More Healthy Recipes
- Cauliflower pizza crust
- Banana bread with applesauce
- Healthy Instant Pot recipes
- Almond flour banana bread
- Healthy banana muffins
More Lemon Recipes
Lemon Water Recipe
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- In a glass, squeeze lemon juice with hand held lemon reamer or glass lemon juicer reamer. Discard seeds if necessary.
- Add water, stir and drink while warm.
- Store: This warm lemon water recipe is meant to drink immediately. See post for cold variations that can be stored in the refrigerator.
- To make warm water: I usually mix boiling water from a kettle and fridge filtered water. Another option is to turn off kettle before water reaches boiling. You just have to wait by the kettle and turn it off on time.
- Type of lemon: Regular organic lemons found commonly in the supermarket. Avoid Meyer lemons or bottled lemon juice.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes without permission. Nutritional info is approximate.