Quick and easy 30 Minute Skillet Sweet Potatoes with beans, corn, fresh lime juice and melted cheese on top. To die for healthy vegetarian dinner!
The texture of this sweet potato skillet recipe – very soft. The taste – fresh. Leftovers – plenty. 🙂
30 Minute Sweet Potato Skillet
I would say this skillet sweet potatoes is one of the most delicious and easy dinners I have ever made. Although not the most photogenic but we will let that slide. 🙂
Quick skillet fried sweet potatoes with beans, corn and spices. Then topped with cheese until melted. Squeeze lime juice all over, sprinkle cilantro and green onion, and be prepared to share a recipe with your friends!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Sweet potatoes. Look for firm without brown spots potatoes. I prefer to buy organic and no to peel because skin contains many vitamins and nutrients.
- Black beans. Canned low sodium black beans will work. Don’t forget to rinse and drain. Or make Instant Pot black beans from dried and freeze in portions for later. That appliance is magic!
- Corn. I like to use frozen corn and not canned.
- Avocado. Diced avocado adds amazing creaminess to already creamy sweet potatoes eliminating the need for more cheese.
- Canned diced tomatoes seal the sauce pretty much. I use low sodium.
- Bell pepper along with yellow onion adds a lot of flavor once sauteed.
- Onions. I am using 2 kinds that are important. Yellow, white or red onion is sauteed first. And green onion is sprinkled on top of cooked dish. So delicious!
Tip: You can add some cubed chicken, cut up sausage or ground turkey. If it is ground meat, cook first breaking into small pieces and then follow the recipe. If it is cubed raw chicken, add it with sweet potatoes. And cooked diced meat add with beans and tomatoes.
How to Cook Tex Mex Sweet Potatoes
I am using 12 inch ceramic non-stick wok aka deep skillet. This sweet potato recipe relies on a method of cooking and seasoning ingredients in batches. Kind of layering. But final result is delish! 🙂
- Cook sweet potatoes in well preheated skillet with half of the seasonings for 5 minutes. This step will ensure well seasoned creamy morsels at the end.
- Add onion, garlic and bell pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. As these veggies release a lot of water, if you add them together with potatoes they will not properly brown and become flavorful.
- Add black beans, corn, diced tomatoes and remaining spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Everything will be super tender.
- Garnish with avocado, green onion, cilantro, lime juice and stir. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand until cheese has melted.
How to Serve and Store the Skillet
Serve Tex Mex skillet hot with Greek yogurt and salsa if desired. I feel like this skillet doesn’t need many toppings as it is well seasoned already.
Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. I do not recommend to freeze this dish. It’s too many veggies and thawed dish will be too watery.
To make ahead, you can refrigerate diced sweet potatoes in a bowl with cold water for up to 2 days. And refrigerate chopped green onion, garlic and bell pepper in another covered container for same period of time.
More Quick Healthy Skillet Recipes
- Tex Mex chicken and zucchini
- Chicken burrito skillet
- Turkey zucchini skillet
- Taco skillet
- Teriyaki chicken and cauliflower skillet
- Quinoa skillet
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Tex Mex Skillet Sweet Potatoes
Quick and easy 30 minute Skillet Sweet Potatoes with beans, corn, fresh lime juice and melted cheese on top. To die for!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: One Pan
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potato, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 14 oz can low sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
- 14 oz can low sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tbsp cumin, divided
- 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 cup (4 oz) Tex Mex cheese, shredded
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Greek yogurt and salsa, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add sweet potatoes, 1/2 tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, remaining 1/2 tbsp cumin and 1/4 tsp salt, taco seasoning and pepper; then stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Turn off heat. Add avocado, green onion, cilantro, lime juice and stir. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand until cheese has melted.
- Serve hot with Greek yogurt and salsa if desired.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You could add some ground turkey, diced chicken breast or tofu for extra protein. Cook it in the skillet first and then proceed with the recipe.
Use less salt if your canned beans or tomatoes are not low sodium.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.