Grilled chicken breast is one of my favourites. It is lean, tender and juicy, if cooked properly. My mom and grandma always said it’s the driest part of the chicken but I just love it. The marinade and right cooking method make all the difference though, for example take Greek chicken kebab recipe or miso marinated chicken. I think my ladies only ever made soup with chicken. We had no grills.
I always keep organic chicken breasts, lemons and rosemary on hand. Chicken in the freezer, lemons for a jumpstart morning drink (=> how to make lemon water) and rosemary used to be in my garden until Alex decided to “weed out”. Rosemary is highly concentrated and you don’t need much. If you buy a bunch, like me now, just freeze the rest in a Ziploc bag.
To make grilled lemon rosemary chicken first marinate the chicken for at least one hour. The longer marinating time, the more flavourful the dish – lemon juice tenderizes the meat while the flavours are melding. Chicken cooks quickly, make sure not to overcook as it will be dry.
Green beans are optional but make a healthy side dish. You already have the grill running, so might as well save time instead of cooking quinoa or brown rice on a stovetop. If your grill is large enough, cook the beans at same time as chicken. If not, you can grill it before or after. Last year, we bought an amazing gas BBQ and I have been grilling a lot lately. Good quality grill cooks meat evenly and makes a big difference. You don’t need to buy a fancy grill for $800. I believe we paid close to $400 for a decent Coleman.
I have to tell you about the lemon slices on top. It was my first time grilling lemons and I absolutely loved it. The lemon caramelized and became sweeter. Once placed on top of grilled chicken breast, the lemon juice ran down it moisturizing the meat and enhancing the lemon and rosemary flavours. This step is optional. Everyone absolutely loved the chicken, especially the kids. Besides green beans, quinoa or brown rice, try this grilled lemon rosemary chicken with chickpea avocado salad or broccoli quinoa salad. Enjoy!
Grilled Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- 4 large (2 lbs) chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 - 2 large rosemary sprigs, leaves removed from the stem
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 + 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Lemon, cut into 8 slices
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- 1 lb green beans, washed & trimmed
- 6 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Cut each chicken breast in half to make 8 thinner chicken cutlets. Add to a medium bowl along with lemon juice+zest, rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper and mix to combine. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours. In the meanwhile, combine all ingredients for Green Beans in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Preheat the grill on low and spray with cooking spray, as well as the grilling vegetable basket. Lay chicken and lemon slices in a single layer on the grill and discard the marinade. Grill for 5 - 6 minutes, flip the chicken and place a lemon slice grilled side up on top of the grilled side of the chicken breast. Cook for another 5 - 6 minutes.* You can make green beans at the same time as chicken, if you have room on the grill. Just add green beans to a vegetable basket and grill for 5 - 6 minutes, stirring often. I kept the lid of the BBQ down except when I needed to stir and flip the food.
- Remove chicken and green beans from the grill and transfer to a serving platter. Serve hot, with quinoa or brown rice on a side, if desired.
Grills vary. Cooking time will vary depending on the age and make/model of your grill. I have new Coleman BBQ which is quite powerful if I compare it to my old grill. Use your judgement and experience with your grill.
Nutritional Info – Lemon Rosemary Chicken
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving = 1 cutlet:
Total Fat: 1.0 g
Cholesterol: 55.2 mg
Sodium: 513.3 mg
Total Carbs: 0.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
Protein: 26.1 g
WW Points+: 3
Nutritional Info – Green Beans
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 1/4 of the recipe:
Total Fat: 2.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 445.5 mg
Total Carbs: 8.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g
Protein: 2.4 g
WW Points+: 1