This might not be a traditional stir fry but it’s delish! It’s my version of broccoli mushroom stir fry with tons and tons of green veggies and nuts. I was going to say it is vegetarian but I just realized it’s vegan. Even better.
I used all ingredients I usually have on hand – walnuts (I buy pieces because they are cheaper), frozen peas and broccoli. I don’t usually have portobello mushrooms on hand but this time I did. They are meaty and add a lot of flavour.
Even 6 months ago both of my boys wouldn’t go near mushrooms. Now, we eat them no problem because I just kept offering and wouldn’t give up.
This stir fry was delish! Crunchy, with satisfying umami flavour and filling.
More Healthy Stir Fry Recipes to Try
- Cabbage and carrots stir fry
- Frozen vegetables stir fry
- Healthy chicken stir fry
- Healthy beef stir fry
- Chicken and broccoli stir fry
- Shrimp stir fry
- All 30 minute meals.
Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked (I used long grain)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup walnuts coarsely chopped (I buy cheaper walnut pieces)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce divided (I used non-GMO liquid aminos)
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil divided*
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 large portobello mushrooms sliced
- 2 broccoli crowns including stems, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups peas frozen or fresh
- 1 tsp sesame oil optional
- 4 green onion sprigs chopped
- Add rice, water and salt to a small pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes. Rice should be al dente. Or cook rice al dente your proven method (I use 1:1.5 ratio instead of recommended 1:2).
- In the meanwhile, preheat non-stick wok on low-medium heat, add walnuts and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. In the last 30 seconds, stir in 1/2 tbsp soy sauce and transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Return wok to low-medium heat, add 1/2 tsp coconut oil, onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl with walnuts.**
- Increase heat to high, add 1/2 tsp coconut oil, mushrooms and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. In the last 30 seconds, stir in 1/2 tbsp soy sauce and transfer to the same bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 tsp coconut oil, broccoli and cook for a few minutes until softer but not overcooked. Transfer all ingredients from a bowl to the wok with broccoli; fluff rice with a fork and add to the wok; add peas, sesame oil, 2 tbsp soy sauce and green onions. Stir gently, remove from heat and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate covered in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com