This is the easiest Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe because it is so fast and effortless without skimping on any of the comforts this delicious signature dish is known for. It’s a 30-minute pressure cooker family meal that has all of the classic flavors and creamy textures of the traditional recipe. This healthier version is the BEST!
Table of contents
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Why This Ground Beef Instant Pot Recipe Works?
- Ingredients for Instant Pot Stroganoff
- How to Make Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Optional Add-In’s and Variations
- Tips for Best Instant Pot Stroganoff
- Serving Recommendations
- Making Instant Pot Hamburger Stroganoff in Advance
- More Instant Pot Pasta Recipes
Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff is classic comfort food and we’re keeping all of the traditional flavours with this recipe but making a quicker, healthier version in the Instant Pot that is just the best! I just love healthy Instant Pot recipes!
Pressure cooker beef stroganoff is made with sautéed beef, onions, garlic, and mushrooms covered in a delicious cream sauce without using high sodium cream of mushroom soup. Instead, we are using whole milk and plain yogurt which adds the creamy tang without all the salt. It’s made with pure and simple ingredients all in one pot!
Instead of the traditional chunks or strips of beef, I used ground beef because it cooks faster and is the best way to save time and keep it cost-effective as I’m usually stocked up on ground beef anyway. With this recipe, you can use whichever type of meat you’d like. Ground turkey, chicken, or chunks of beef, if you want. If you are looking for a vegetarian version, try my stovetop mushroom stroganoff.
Stroganoff doesn’t use any complicated ingredients or even many of them, so it’s not only a simple ground beef Instant Pot recipe, it’s budget-friendly as well. Easy, one pot dinner just like Instant Pot cabbage rolls, Instant Pot beef stew or Instant Pot meatloaf with mashed potatoes!
Pressure cooker beef stroganoff is one of those healthy pasta dishes everyone will rush to the table for. It’s a hearty 30 minute dinner that’s so flavorful, creamy and tasty. After a long day, it’s nice to be able to whip up a complete dinner that everyone can agree on! Other 30 minute beef dinners that are on our regular rotation include beef and broccoli and beef stir fry.
Why This Ground Beef Instant Pot Recipe Works?
- It tastes just like the traditional recipe! It’s perfectly seasoned and deliciously creamy.
- A one-pot meal for a quick 30-minute dinner and easy clean-up.
- A healthier version made from scratch is always a welcome twist.
- Comfort food made in the pressure cooker makes everything taste even better!
- Quick and easily made in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the effort.
- Everyone will love this warming meal especially when the weather gets cooler.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Stroganoff
- Ground beef, turkey, or chicken: I used Instant Pot frozen ground beef to thaw my ground beef so it’s possible to start with frozen meat as well. Just make sure to follow my instructions as linked above, first.
- Onion and garlic: Normally I use white onion but anytime I run out I will go ahead and use green onion. So flexible!
- Sliced mushrooms: Brown mushrooms are more flavorful than white mushrooms but you can use any. Buy whole and slice your own, or buy pre-sliced for convenience. It’s up to you for this modern day pressure cooker beef stroganoff!
- Beef broth: Use homemade broth if you have it, otherwise an organic, low sodium broth will work just as well.
- Noodles: Any medium pasta works in this Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff. If you’re using gluten-free or traditional egg noodles, you’ll have to cut the cooking time down.
- Seasoning: A simple thyme, salt, and pepper seasoning are all you need to impart yummy flavor into this dish.
- Milk and yogurt: For maximum richness and creaminess, use whole milk and yogurt. You can also use sour cream.
- Parsley: For garnish.
How to Make Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
There is a detailed recipe card below.
- Saute ground meat: You want to saute the ground meat first to break it into pieces. You need to do this first rather than just adding frozen meat or a blog of ground beef to avoid the burn notice.
- Then, saute onion and garlic: Add the aromatic ingredients to the meat and cook for a few minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with stock: This is an important step to prevent the Burn notice when making Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff, especially if you see browned bits on the bottom of the pot. As you can imagine it’s also a great way to get some of that delicious flavour from the pan into the dish.
- Add mushrooms and pasta: Unlike with 95% of the other Instant Pot recipes where I tell you not to stir, with pressure cooker beef stroganoff I want you to stir. It helps to prevent pasta from sticking.
- Pressure cook: Close the lid and make sure the valve is set to Sealing. Pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure right away using Quick Release: This helps to avoid the pasta from being overcooked. If the pasta is still a bit too firm for your liking, close the lid and let it sit for 10 mins.
- Add milk and yogurt to make the creamy sauce: You never want to cook with dairy in Instant Pot because it will scorch. It’s always added afterward. Start with 1 cup of yogurt and 1 cup of milk. Stir, cover for 10 minutes, and let stroganoff absorb the flavors. Open and see how you like the consistency of the sauce. Adjust to taste and add to the creamy consistency if you’d like.
TIP: Cooking time for pasta varies depending on the type of pasta. White, whole wheat pasta, or egg noodles – cook for 5 minutes. Gluten-free pasta – cook for 3 minutes.
Optional Add-In’s and Variations
- Kids (or adults) not a fan of mushrooms? Feel free to skip them for this Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff.
- This recipe for electric pressure cooker beef stroganoff works well with beef, pork, and chicken. Use whatever you have on hand. If you’re wanting to use strips or chunks of beef, you might want to consider searing in a separate skillet at first before adding to the pot to be able to keep the same cooking time.
- If you prefer to serve Stroganoff over mashed potatoes or rice, to avoid too much starch, leave out the pasta.
- I like to add more yogurt to each plate for a little extra creaminess to be stirred in. This way stroganoff has more of an authentic taste. My choice of garnish would be parsley but all I had was a green onion. Dill would be fantastic too.
Tips for Best Instant Pot Stroganoff
- Ground beef: I would recommend draining the fat from ground beef during browning, especially if you’re using anything more than lean ground beef.
- Undercooked pasta: If pasta appears undercooked or you like very soft pasta, close the lid and let stroganoff sit for 10 mins. The heat will cook the pasta further.
- To double the recipe: You can double the recipe for Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff, keeping the same cooking time, if you are cooking with an 8-quart pressure cooker. If you have 6 quarts or anything smaller, I would not recommend doubling the recipe. Instead, cook in 2 batches if you need to.
Yes, you can. This recipe is customizable and many of the ingredients are flexible. You can use cut-up chicken breast (as well as beef chunks or strips, ground turkey, ground chicken, you name it). Saute first, getting a bit of a sear, and allow the pressure cooker to tenderize the meat.
You can always add a bit more broth or water, close the lid and let pasta sit for 5-10 mins. It cooks so fast, it will get there. There’s no need to even press anything. Next time try adding 2-3 mins of cook time. It is all about tweaking a bit with different elevations and pasta types.
No, it’s not normal. Your pressure release valve might have not been set to sealing or might have only been halfway kind of there – maybe it moved a bit (or a lot) from where it should be. This would cause extra steam to be released while it was coming to pressure. This loss of water has happened to me while I was cooking potatoes. The Instant Pot will still eventually come to pressure it just loses too much water along the way if it’s not completely sealed.
Technically you can, especially if you’re trying to avoid wasting any leftovers. Keep in mind, I don’t think that will be as tasty since the seasoned broth that the pasta cooks in is what gives the pasta its flavour which makes the entire dish! This recipe is developed as a one-pot meal taking into account the flavouring of each of the ingredients.
Yes! It’s a very traditional way to enjoy beef stroganoff. It usually takes about 6-8 minutes to cook egg noodles, so the cooking time shouldn’t vary too much.
On top of: If you’ve decided to omit the pasta, serve it over a bed of cauliflower rice, it’s a different way to complete your meal!
Making Instant Pot Hamburger Stroganoff in Advance
Storing: Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff can be stored in an inner pot with a lid if you have room in the fridge or an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Reheating: Add a splash of milk or broth when reheating as it gets thicker as it sits. You can reheat right in the inner pot using the Instant pot or in another small pot on the stove. Simmer on low while stirring a few times and until warmed through.
It doesn’t freeze well: Cooked pasta does not freeze well, unfortunately. If you want to avoid waste, cut the recipe in half and keep the same cooking time – especially if you’re only feeding a few people and don’t need a lot of leftovers.
More Instant Pot Pasta Recipes
- Instant Pot chicken alfredo
- Instant Pot mac and cheese
- Instant Pot parmesan chicken pasta
- Instant Pot lasagna
Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 lb 4 cups dry short pasta
- 1 cup plain yogurt 2%+ fat content
- 1 cup 2% or 3.25% milk
- 3 tbsp parsley finely chopped (for garnish)
- On Instant Pot, press Saute and wait until display says Hot. Takes 3-5 mins. Swirl oil to coat if cooking ground chicken or turkey. No need for oil if cooking with ground beef.
- Add ground meat of choice and cook for about 5 minutes, constantly breaking into small pieces and stirring. Add onion and garlic half way through.
- Add broth, thyme, salt, pepper and stir to deglaze the pot if you see burnt bits on the bottom.
- Press Cancel and add mushrooms and pasta. Stir.
- Close the lid and move pressure valve to Sealing, and press Pressure Cook on High for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure using Quick Release method – turn pressure valve to Venting. Pasta might appear a bit undercooked only on top, don't worry.
- Add 1 cup yogurt and 1 cup milk, stir, cover and let stroganoff sit for 10 minutes to create the sauce.
- Open the lid and adjust thickness to taste with more milk and/or yogurt, if desired.
- Sprinkle with parsley, stir and serve warm.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days, in inner pot or airtight container. Reheat with a splash of milk or broth right in inner pot or other small pot on the stove. Simmer on low while stirring a few times and until warmed through.
- Freeze: Pasta does not freeze well.
- Can I double the recipe? If you have 6 quart or less Instant Pot, you can’t be cause there is not enough room. Cook in 2 batches if need to. With 8 quart pressure cooker you can do 1.5 times the recipe. Same cooking time.
- Gluten free pasta: Cook for 3 minutes.