You better believe me when I say I have tested these Instant Pot steel cut oats about 7 times. Until I found a perfect method the way I like my steel cut oats – perfectly creamy with a bite. Just like the photo suggests.
I’m not the biggest oatmeal or breakfast fan. It’s truly “my way or highway” when it comes to oats. I turn into a true 5 year old. My oats gotta be cooked soft with a crunch. Alex can’t cook me oatmeal. True fact. And I’m not picky.
If your inner self is 5 years young like me, then my easy recipe is for you!
What Are Steel Cut Oats?
Steel cut oats are the healthiest out of all types of oats because they are least processed. Oat groats are harvested and then cut into smaller pieces using steel blades, hence the name. A bowl of steel cut oatmeal will keep you full much longer than a bowl of oatmeal made with quick or rolled oats. After eating processed oats, I’m hungry an hour later, just like after a bowl of cereal.
Tips for Best Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Pressure cooker steel cut oats total cooking time is 20-25 minutes. Factor that in during morning rush hour.
- So, Instant Pot isn’t that instant. But you turn it on and walk away.
- You can prepare Instant Pot steel cut oats overnight by setting timer (see below).
- If you plan to use Keep Warm, add extra 1/2 cup water to prevent sticking.
- You can use quick cooking steel cut oats require only 6 minutes vs. 12 minutes.
- It’s important to add regular milk after cooking oats. Don’t cook it. It will cause “burn”.
- However, you can replace water with almond milk 1:1 ratio. Just coat the pot with oil before adding ingredients.
- Add all flavors and toppings after oats are cooked. Anything you like!
- I love to replace butter with coconut oil in Instant Pot steel cut oatmeal.
- Adding frozen fruit to hot porridge cools off the oatmeal and melts the fruits to almost fresh like experience. Win-win.
How to Make Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
1. Cook Oats in Water
- In Instant Pot, add 2 cups steel cut oats + 4 cups water. For overnight oatmeal, press Delay at night for “-25 minutes your breakfast time”. And wake up to freshly cooked steel cut oats. Cook for 12 minutes.
- You can also use quick cooking steel cut oats with ratios 2 cups oats : 3 cups water and cook for 6 minutes.
2. Add Milk and Flavors
- Release pressure if float valve is up. Add butter and stir until melted.
- Add almond milk or regular milk and stir again. I also like to add maple syrup, pure vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg.
You will end up with the best your inner self 5 year old’s pressure cooker steel cut oats – creamy with a crunch.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas with Oats:
- Baked oatmeal breakfast bars with carrots for meal prep breakfasts for the week.
- Sweet potato oatmeal muffins – weird but so good with a kick!
- Overnight oatmeal in case you have been living under the rock past 5 years.
- 35 healthy breakfast ideas because I just cannot not share.
And may I suggest Instant Pot yogurt to go with the oats?! Or that’s too much?:)Print
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
Make easy steel cut oats in Instant Pot. You can set timer for overnight oatmeal, use quick cooking oats and use any milk.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: North American
- 2 cups steel cut oats*
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- In Instant Pot, add oats and water. Close the lid, set pressure vent to Sealing, press Pressure Cooking on High for 12 minutes and cancel/don’t turn on Keep Warm. Display will say ON, Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure, then float valve will rise and countdown from 12 minutes will begin.
- When oatmeal is ready, display will say OFF. Turn pressure valve to Venting position to let pressure out. It will take 1-2 minutes and the process isn’t that smelly or messy.
- When float valve is down, open the lid, add butter and stir until melted. Add milk, stir and serve however you like it. That was easy!
*You can also use quick cooking steel cut oats with ratios 2 cups oats:3 cups water and cook for 6 minutes.
You can use Delay function, set oatmeal at night for -25 minutes your breakfast time, and wake up to freshly cooked steel cut oats.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.